× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.6.1 Unable to access .apps folder

ohiomedic
Aspirant

6.6.1 Unable to access .apps folder

Prior to the update I was able to access the .apps folder via https://localip/browse.html#path=%2Fdata%2F.apps in the address bar. After the new update that no longer works so I can no longer access the .app folder.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 13
ohiomedic
Aspirant

~deleted

Message 2 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

I mistakenly tried it on the wrong NAS (one still running 6.6.0) and thought it worked (using path=%2Fapps).  You are right, that doesn't work on 6.6.1 but did on 6.6.0.  But the fact that it ever worked was likely a bug.

Message 3 of 13
ohiomedic
Aspirant

Just tried it that way. I get my directory tree to the left, and the browse area to the right is empty. 

Message 4 of 13
ohiomedic
Aspirant

I was able to get in through windows by changing my credintals. Hopefully it wasn't a bug before and is now. It was easier before if something needed to be moved into or out of an app folder to go through the browser interface then changing the windows credintals. 

Message 5 of 13
ArchPrime
Guide

Hi what credentials  do you need to use to see the .apps folder.?

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

If you use NAS admin credentials, you can access the full data volume using SMB/CIFS.  

For instance, with Windows CMD

net use * /delete

net use t:  \\nas-name\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

.apps is a hidden folder in the data volume root. (drive letter t: in the above example).

Message 7 of 13
ArchPrime
Guide

Thanks StephanB

For some reason in the CMD window, even elevated to administrator, when attempting net use * /delete,  I get error 'Access is denied' 

With net use t:  \\nas-name\data /user:admin nas-admin-password  (substituting my actual credentials )  I keep getting 'system error 59'.

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

That is strange.  Does 

net use \\nas-name /delete

give the same error?

Message 9 of 13
ArchPrime
Guide

Thanks StephanB

A bit nervous about trying again - even though the error message would suggest the first attempt didn't work, the command does seem to have done some things before reporting the error;  even after rebooting I found a bunch of network drives no longer worked, yet wouldn't allow themselves to be recreated for some reason.  I was also getting

I was also suddently getting strange loss of focus behaviour whenever typing anything - I would need to keep reclicking in the relevant app window to resume typing.  I am guessing a network drive dependent background task was having problems - quite possibly CrashPlan.

Finally sorted that out, but in the meantime got some outside help accessing the apps folder via Putty instead, and to manually install the OwnCloud app/plugin I was struggling with: ('files_retention')

For anyone interested who is a Linux noob like me, The steps were

0. Download and open Putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

1. Login via ssh (username: root, password: admin password)

2. Go to the ReadyNas + owncloud directory ---> apps

cd /apps/owncloud/web/apps

3. Download the files retention plugin, then unzup it, then rename it:

wget https://github.com/nextcloud/files_retention/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
mv files_retention-master files_retention

4. Set the appropriate permissions and stuff:

chown -R admin files_retention
chgrp -R admin files_retention
chmod 755 files_retention

5. Cleanup:

rm master.zip

Note however that while the install process was apparently successful (OwnCloud now sees the new app), I have not been able to make it work

Message 10 of 13
ArchPrime
Guide

Double post deleted

Message 11 of 13
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

In addition to @ArchPrime's comment; winscp is another window/ui friendly way to navigate those type of directories without having to go into the cli.
https://winscp.net/
Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@ArchPrime wrote:

A bit nervous about trying again - even though the error message would suggest the first attempt didn't work, the command does seem to have done some things before reporting the error;  even after rebooting I found a bunch of network drives no longer worked, yet wouldn't allow themselves to be recreated for some reason.

Windows only lets you use one set of credentials for the NAS at a time.  The purpose of the first command is to make sure there isn't an SMB session already open that uses credentials that limits your access.

That particular command doesn't actually delete anything. It terminates any SMB open sessions (* terminates all of them, the second version was targeted only for the NAS). That will dismount any network drives, and ensures that the second command's credentials can be used.  But it does not change any stored credentials or network discovery.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements