× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A complaint to Netgear

davidr1
Luminary

A complaint to Netgear

Notwithstanding the support in this forum which is superb, the community is saddened and the worse for departures and problems as raised in this thread http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67686

I have had an Ultra 2 and recently added a Pro 2 - and my complaint seems to be raising its head again - though I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

It is what I consider to be the inadequate documentation for Linux users, especially for those that don't have Windows or Apples. Just Linux.

Netgear provide a ssh addon with the proviso support may not - well, support you.

I know what a Linux folder structure looks like. I know what it means. I know how to navigate etc etc. I know how to use vi (why not provide vim as well instead of making me download it?)

What I don't know is why Netgear choose UID 1000 for their 'backup' share, forcing me to change it in shell so that I use UID 1000 for the user account UID to match my Linux installation. You have made a Linux computer - where is the Linux documentation? It's not that hard for Netgear to write.

And explain to me in documentation why my shares appear in / folder and also /c folder. Yes I know /c is the 'home' (/home) of shares - (is / sort of like /mnt? Am I correct that you link the shares in / to the user folder /c? For what purpose? What am I missing?

Why not explain the backup file fields to me? I'd rather choose different times than the imposed 5 mins past the hour ... yes, I can write my own scripts but your fields must mean something - perhaps there is a reason you want to restrict me to hourly intervals? Tell me. Pushing or pulling backups - more info.

There are many other things I would like to know as a Linux user only using NFS. Let me download and do my worst - I can always factory reset.

There are people who know ReadyNas inside out - mgdm, sphardy (now gone), stephenB just to name three. But I haven't gone to the depths they have - I'm just a (Linux) user. So, please, provide better documentation.
Message 1 of 3
dsm1212
Apprentice

Re: A complaint to Netgear

Well their interface is platform independent so the Linux interface exists and is documented. You could make a legitimate argument for some enhanced NFS support in that interface.

The market for what you requested though is near zero. Mostly the people who use linux would not need it. Buy a Linux book and understand what / is from that. Its an opportunity to learn :-).

Understanding their choices about how to simplify the controls they have exposed in frontview is too zen and not that important. If you have a need for more control in that ui, then make a case for that. Or use ssh and do whatever it is you want. They support people all the time with ssh enabled, but if you do something stupid they may have to say they cannot help. They have never said no to me and I've had a number of support calls with ssh enabled.

Sorry if this seems harsh, I just think its a waste of their time. I'm much more aligned with the other article you linked to if you wrote that one.

Steve
Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: A complaint to Netgear

/c is the data volume. Using X-RAID2 it would be the only data volume. The shares are stored on the data volume. It's called C because Windows users would be familiar with the hard disk in their PC by default being the C drive but NetGear could have decided to call the data volume pretty much anything else if they wanted to.

You can download your Config Backup (System > Config Backup) and have a look at some configuration files without needing to enable SSH.

There is a 4GB OS partition on the disks is mounted at / (this would be indicated in the logs - Status > Logs > Download all logs).

If you login via SSH and do

ls -la /

You can see that /media is a symlink to /c/media etc.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements