× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A couple of questions - Sync?

robbietowns
Aspirant

A couple of questions - Sync?

Have already decided on a RN2120 for an office site to save server backups to.
Question 1: I'll be buying Shadowprotect too, and have found that I can but a RN2120 and Shadowprotect for less that the Netgear bundles, so I'm not sure of the advantage of buying your bundle....

The business owner wants another ReadyNAS at his house to sync the office one to, but I'm thinking he doesn't want a rack mount model at home!
Question 2: Which of the standard tower models can I choose from that will allow the sync between sites ?
The 2120 will have 4x 2TB drives so have a capacity of 6TB if that make any difference to you guys.
Would a RN10400 do the job? or would I 'need' a RN31400
The only function this 2nd device will have is to store the data offsite for disaster recovery.

Can you choose what folders on the ReadyNAS are syncronised to the 2nd NAS at the remote site, or must you sync the whole thing?
(I'm thinking maybe just sync the shared network drive, which could include files

Question 3: Also - I would hope there is a good (email) reporting feature built into the sync function so if it stops working I can know about it?

Question 4: I've always used Server OS to host File shares and ReadyNAS to hold the Server backups, is there any advantage to putting the file shares directly on the NAS? Do I still get to control file access by groups/permissions?

Thanks for your help
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: A couple of questions - Sync?

robbietowns wrote:
Have already decided on a RN2120 for an office site to save server backups to.
Question 1: I'll be buying Shadowprotect too, and have found that I can but a RN2120 and Shadowprotect for less that the Netgear bundles, so I'm not sure of the advantage of buying your bundle....

Our ReadyDATA devices e.g. ReadyDATA 516 have ReadyRecover which uses StorageCraft to provide full backups as often as every 15 minutes. You can still use StorageCraft with our ReadyNAS units but you won't get the same level of integration. You need a ReadyDATA device to get the full backups every 15 minutes. StorageCraft ShadowProtect 5.2 or newer is needed for ReadyRecover. You can purchase the software separately, but if you want to use ReadyRecover then you need to make sure that you are running a new enough version of the StorageCraft software. Also update the ReadyDATA device to ReadyDATA OS 1.4.3 (or later).

You may find ReadyDATA devices suit you better than a ReadyNAS.

However for backups to a ReadyNAS the version of ShadowProtect isn't as important.

robbietowns wrote:

The business owner wants another ReadyNAS at his house to sync the office one to, but I'm thinking he doesn't want a rack mount model at home!
Question 2: Which of the standard tower models can I choose from that will allow the sync between sites ?
The 2120 will have 4x 2TB drives so have a capacity of 6TB if that make any difference to you guys.
Would a RN10400 do the job? or would I 'need' a RN31400
The only function this 2nd device will have is to store the data offsite for disaster recovery.

I would still go with the 314 for the lifetime chat support and the 5 year limited hardware warranty to match what you are getting with the 2120.

Is there a particular reason you need a rackmount unit at the office site? If you don't need the rackmount form factor I would go with the 314 at both sites.

robbietowns wrote:

Can you choose what folders on the ReadyNAS are syncronised to the 2nd NAS at the remote site, or must you sync the whole thing?
(I'm thinking maybe just sync the shared network drive, which could include files

I believe you can just sync the files you want to.
robbietowns wrote:

Question 3: Also - I would hope there is a good (email) reporting feature built into the sync function so if it stops working I can know about it?

Emails are sent to the email address you used to register your Replicate account.
robbietowns wrote:

Question 4: I've always used Server OS to host File shares and ReadyNAS to hold the Server backups, is there any advantage to putting the file shares directly on the NAS? Do I still get to control file access by groups/permissions?

Storage in the NAS may be cheaper. So if you need more storage for your server this may be a factor. If you already have way more than enough storage in the server you may wish to keep your file shares there if it's currently working well for you.

Do you have a Domain? You may wish to see http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7066/~/setting-active-directory-folder-permissions-on-...
Message 2 of 4
robbietowns
Aspirant

Hi MDGM,
Thanks for your reply - that was all good.
I'm interested more now in what the difference between readyDATA and readyNAS.
I'm already a Storagecraft user (other sites) and am already backing up every 15 minutes using that.

Can you explain what you meant more about the difference between ReadyNAS and ReadyDATA and the integration?
If there are advantages, I'll look harder at it, but really it's still just a NAS with shadowprotect - or am I oversimplifying it!
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have a look at http://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readydata/readyrecover.aspx

The key difference is that with ReadyRecover and the ReadyDATA:

you can make a full backup every 15 minutes, forever!
Every backup writes only changed data, forever!
Every backup is verified in real time, forever!
Every backup is a full restore point, forever!

Note: FULL backups as often as every 15 minutes not incremental and backups are stored forever (if you run out of space after a very long time you can choose to add more storage or delete very old backups). With the integration the data is also stored very efficiently so backups don't take up more space than they need to (there is no need for the compression or deduplication options available on the ReadyDATA. The backups are already use deduplication at the block level). The data is verified at both ends, leveraging the benefits of StorageCraft's software and the ZFS filesystem used on the ReadyDATA.

Traditionally you would periodically do a full backup backing up all the files not just incrementals to provide some protection against corruption over time and to avoid the pain of having to restore too many incrementals if you ever need to do a restore.

With the ReadyDATA if the files get corrupted they will be repaired and as every backup is a full backup, you can restore one file through to doing a full restore from any time point onto a different system with ease.

If just wanting to restore some files you can e.g. mount any of the full backups in Windows Explorer and drag and drop files you want to restore. Or you can use the StorageCraft wizard if you prefer.

Backing up to a ReadyNAS you would still need to periodically do a traditional full backup (which you only do the very first backup with ReadyRecover) and backups wouldn't be stored as efficiently. When you then replicate this backup off-site, only ever having to do incrementals is important.

If you PM me some further details e.g. what state you are in, I can get you in touch with your local NETGEAR Territory Account Manager, if you are not already.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements