× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AFP/Mac OS 9

Mixolydian
Aspirant

AFP/Mac OS 9

Hello, I am considering purchasing a ReadyNAS device for a home NAS solution. One of the features on the Ultra series (possibly others?) that caught my attention is Mac OS 9 support. I am wondering if native AppleTalk is supported and what UAMs (User Authentication Modules) are supported on these systems? I'm guessing that these are *NIX based machines that are using Netatalk for AFP services. Thank you in advance!
Message 1 of 5
chirpa
Luminary

I don't believe OS9 has been tested in a few years by NTGR QA.
Message 2 of 5
Mixolydian
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
I don't believe OS9 has been tested in a few years by NTGR QA.

Assuming (again) that the system does use Netatalk for AFP services, is it possible to manually change the configuration?

Thanks!
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS does use Netatalk (in fact NetGear is one of NetAFP's customers: http://www.netafp.com/customers/, NetAFP develops Netatalk). You could possibly manually change the configuration via SSH but if you make changes using Frontview those changes *might* be overridden and if you break things support *could* be denied.

It's possible that you may need to run an old version of RAIDiator for the NAS to work well with Mac OS 9 but you'd have to check and see.

Do you have any Macs running newer versions of Mac OS than Mac OS 9? Whilst Netatalk 3.0.x isn't in RAIDiator firmware at this time, this new version removes support for AppleTalk. So if you need AppleTalk your ability to have a server that works well with Mac OS 9 and the latest version of Mac OS X will be quite limited in the not too distant future.
Message 4 of 5
Mixolydian
Aspirant

I do not require classic AppleTalk, per se, rather just the legacy UAM's. It will work just fine via AFP over TCP/IP.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements