× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: APC BACK-UPS Not Communicating with 516

Bourdo
Aspirant

APC BACK-UPS Not Communicating with 516

Hi

I plug in my APC Backup UPS RS 1000 to the 516 via USB, it sees the UPS and gives me the serial of the unit only but it comes up in the error log "Cannot communicate to UPS"

My unit is http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br1000i

Netgear says its a known UPS http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=92

Anyway hints how to make it work? I tried adding new UPS but its only for networked UPS

It emailed me all last night every hour about the error

Cheers

Nick Bourdo
Message 1 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

I think there is a problem with the new OS6 and ups communication. There are several reports of ups communication errors, but none as recurrent as yours. I get an error similar to yours on every boot, but after a couple of minutes it seems to communicate properly.
Log a support case with Netgear.
Message 2 of 6
Bourdo
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I lodged one yesterday, waiting to see what is the outcome

Cheers

Nick
Message 3 of 6
Willing
Aspirant

I had the same "Cannot communicate with UPS" error, but with an APC Back-UPS ES 700 being monitored by my ReadyNas 104.

At first Netgear told me that it wasn't an approved UPS. Well, it was when I bought it, and the error only began when I installed version 6.1.4 or 6.1.5 on the ReadyNAS.

Eventually they recommended a reinstall of the OS. So far, it seems to have solved the problem. I no longer get the error message every 50 minutes. These were the instructions I followed.

To access the Boot Menu:

1. Power Off the NAS.
2. Grab a paperclip then press and hold the reset pinhole at the back of the unit.
3. Continue pressing and power On the NAS.
4. Let go of the reset as soon as the Boot Menu message shows up on the LCD screen.
5. Press the backup button and select OS Reinstall.
6. Press again the reset button at the back for 2 seconds to select this mode and wait for the NAS to fully boot up.

Hope this helps somebody.
Message 4 of 6
Willing
Aspirant

Willing wrote:

So far, it seems to have solved the problem. I no longer get the error message every 50 minutes. ...

Hope this helps somebody.

I spoke too soon: about 48 hours after the OS reinstall, I'm getting the error message again every 50 minutes. Back to Netgear support...
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try 6.1.6-RC13: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=72282

Or wait for the production 6.1.6 release (shouldn't be too far away, I think).
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements