× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Drobo Shares

SiDuB
Aspirant

Access Drobo Shares

Equipment:

NAS1 = Drobo5N - 10TB

NAS2 = RN214 - 16TB

Router = Nighthawk X10 R9000

Modem = CM700

PC = Intel i5 

So right now i run PLEX on the PC and all is going good. I have my Movies and Music on the Drobo and Tv Show on the RN214. What my goal is to do is still run the main PLEX off the PC but if something happens have a PLEX running on the RN214 so my friends and family don't lose any connection time (in case i need to replace a drive ont the PC or something).

So i have installed PLEX on the RN214 and beings that the TV Show are stored localy on the Rn214 no problems setting up that folder, as for the Movies and Music nothing.

1st attempt was to try to navigate to the network share but beings as im not a linux user finding the smb share was not happening and figuring out how to mount the drobo share to the RN214 i googled this and couldn't find anything.

2nd attempt create a share and use the DFS and this didnt work either I created a new share and gave it the network ip address and the folder name but no files populated the folder.

If someone could help me out on what im missing or if this cant be done let me know.

Thnaks in advance

SiDuB

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Access Drobo Shares

@Sandshark wrote:

I think you are better off using Plex itself to find the other NAS share,

That can't be done, since Plex doesn't allow you to add a network share to its library.  @SiDuB can't find the network browse feature in Plex because there isn't one. 

So he does need to mount the share (as he is already doing on the Windows PMS by mapping them to drive letters). In Linux, they need to be mounted on "mount points" - which basically are "placeholder" folders.

@Sandshark wrote:

If you really do want to mount the share on your ReadyNAS, here are some ways: 8-ways-to-mount-smbfs-samba-file-system-in-linux//  

This of course requires ssh.  Something along these lines will work, but as Sandshark says the methods 1-5 in the link aren't sticky (you'd need to redo them whenever you reboot either the NAS or the Drobo).  

You can create an empty share on the NAS called "Drobo", and create subfolders for each media share on the Drobo that you want to include in the ReadyNAS PMS.  These are the placeholders (e.g, the mount points).  You mount the Drobo shares on those subfolders, and then add those subfolders to the ReadyNAS PMS library. 

Once you get this all working, you could attempt to modify /etc/fstab (perhaps using method 6), so it would automatically do these mounts whenever the NAS is booted up.  I suggest making a copy of the fstab file, and then editing the copy.  After that looks right, you can rename the your file to fstab. 

All this is a fair amount of work to do for a hypothetical situation.  Not sure it's really worth the effort.  

@schumaku wrote:

Forget DFS.

Well, obviously it isn't working, so he has to.  But if it had worked, it would have allowed him to achieve his goal w/o using SSH.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 19

All Replies
SiDuB
Aspirant

Here is a screen grab of the setting for the movies folder

Message 2 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Movies is a network share on the Drobo?  Have you checked with them on whether they support DFS?

Message 3 of 19
SiDuB
Aspirant

PLEX.share.png

So im guessing the DFS works witht he Drobo becuase on my windows 10 PC i can goto the ReadyNAS and the click on the Drobo share and it shows me the files.

But this issue im having is when i try to use it in PLEX nothing shows up. as you can see in the screenshot above

Message 4 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@SiDuB wrote:

But this issue im having is when i try to use it in PLEX nothing shows up. as you can see in the screenshot above

On the same LAN, you should go the SMB way...

@SiDuB wrote:

So im guessing the DFS works witht he Drobo becuase on my windows 10 PC i can goto the ReadyNAS and the click on the Drobo share and it shows me the files.

That's unlikley DFS - when you see the ReadyNAS in the left explorer bar (unless it was mounted manually) by discovery, that's SMB.

Message 5 of 19
SiDuB
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads up, I'm a windows user and i know the ReadyNAS is linux bases (Debian i think), All i want to do is get the PMS (Plex Media Server) that is running on the ReadyNAS to see my Drobo share so it can update the Plex library.

As shown in the screenshot on my other post it does not let me see my network to point to the share.

Message 6 of 19
schumaku
Guru

The movies shared folder settings (by DFS) would be a shared folder on the ReadyNAS - that won't create a mount to another device.

Can't see the in-line screenshots (add these as attachments like the one with the share, not as in-line - attachments are not prone to moderation) yet - you define the data sources on Plex (including external ones), not on the NAS.

Message 7 of 19
SiDuB
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

The movies shared folder settings (by DFS) would be a shared folder on the ReadyNAS - that won't create a mount to another device.

Yes but it should still be able to se my files in that folder correct? 

@schumaku wrote:

Can't see the in-line screenshots (add these as attachments like the one with the share, not as in-line - attachments are not prone to moderation) yet - you define the data sources on Plex (including external ones), not on the NAS.

Attached the pic.

Message 8 of 19
SiDuB
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:
On the same LAN, you should go the SMB way...

That is what i would love to do but how?

i've tried the smb://192.168.1.13/TNC-MOVIES and nothing showed

I did find the /mnt folder but nothing in it.

if i could find a /smb/WORKGROUP/TNC-DROBO/TNC-MUSIC that would work but i have no idea how to set this up in a Linux environment

Message 9 of 19
schumaku
Guru

So in this URI smb://192.168.1.13/TNC-MOVIES the .13 IP is the Drovo and TMC-MOVJES (all uppercase?) is a shared folder on the Drobo you can reach form Windows Explorer like \\192.168.1.13\TNC-MOVIES (or you can simply browse to it)?

So t understand what role you have in mind for the ReadyNAS.

Message 10 of 19
SiDuB
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

So in this URI smb://192.168.1.13/TNC-MOVIES the .13 IP is the Drovo and TMC-MOVJES (all uppercase?) is a shared folder on the Drobo you can reach form Windows Explorer like \\192.168.1.13\TNC-MOVIES (or you can simply browse to it)?

Yes, I can even see the DFS i set up in the ReayNAS on my PC \\Tnc-readynas\tnc-movies\TNC-MOVIES and brings up all my movies.

So to be clear on what i want from the ReadyNAS is:

I'm running a PMS on the ReadyNAS it self as a backup just in case my main PMS goes down. (ie. memory fail, cpu fail, drive fail, virus or such). 

So i need to be able to talk to my Drobo share so it can populate the Movies and Music section of PMS.

My main PC is running fine because i can see both NAS (ReadyNAS and Drobo) and the both have mapped drives to my Windows 10 PC.

Hope this helps

Message 11 of 19
schumaku
Guru

Forget DFS.

On the ReadyNAS hosted PMS you should be able to browse the network the se way as in the whatever hosted primary PMS. Complete unrelated to the ReadyNAS shared folders,.

Message 12 of 19
Sandshark
Sensei

I think you are better off using Plex itself to find the other NAS share, but I'm not a Plex user and can't help you there.  If you really do want to mount the share on your ReadyNAS, here are some ways: 8-ways-to-mount-smbfs-samba-file-system-in-linux//  I recommend you try method 3 first to see it it's going to do what you want, then use #6 to make it permanent.  You can also do that using NFS, which is a native Linux file system.  Just Google "Linux mount external NFS share".  I assume the Drobo, which is also Linux based, supports NFS.

Message 13 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I think you are better off using Plex itself to find the other NAS share, ...

Exactly - that's all @SiDuB has to do. Any other solution is technically nice, bup much to complex. And with throwing in NFS on top of SMB things can become complex ways off from user friendly.

Message 14 of 19
SiDuB
Aspirant

All suggestions are great. I am trying to find it in the Plex browse feature but I like my pc and kodi I cant find out where I get to the network shares. On the kodi on my fire box its smb://192.168.1.13/TNC-MOVIES on my PC its \\TNC-DROBO\TNC-MOVIES and neither work on the readynas threw plex
Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

That can't be done, since Plex doesn't allow you to add a network share to its library.  @SiDuB can't find the network browse feature in Plex because there isn't one. 

So he does need to mount the share (as he is already doing on the Windows PMS by mapping them to drive letters). In Linux, they need to be mounted on "mount points" - which basically are "placeholder" folders.

@Sandshark wrote:

If you really do want to mount the share on your ReadyNAS, here are some ways: 8-ways-to-mount-smbfs-samba-file-system-in-linux//  

This of course requires ssh.  Something along these lines will work, but as Sandshark says the methods 1-5 in the link aren't sticky (you'd need to redo them whenever you reboot either the NAS or the Drobo).  

You can create an empty share on the NAS called "Drobo", and create subfolders for each media share on the Drobo that you want to include in the ReadyNAS PMS.  These are the placeholders (e.g, the mount points).  You mount the Drobo shares on those subfolders, and then add those subfolders to the ReadyNAS PMS library. 

Once you get this all working, you could attempt to modify /etc/fstab (perhaps using method 6), so it would automatically do these mounts whenever the NAS is booted up.  I suggest making a copy of the fstab file, and then editing the copy.  After that looks right, you can rename the your file to fstab. 

All this is a fair amount of work to do for a hypothetical situation.  Not sure it's really worth the effort.  

@schumaku wrote:

Forget DFS.

Well, obviously it isn't working, so he has to.  But if it had worked, it would have allowed him to achieve his goal w/o using SSH.

Message 16 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

Must have mixed up Kodi and Plex - oh well, I'm sorry for that misleading hint @SiDuB .  

Message 17 of 19
SiDuB
Aspirant

Thank You Everyone for the help, i was able to figure it out, i added the NFS app to my drobo and then went to configure it and it showed me the addresses i sould be using.

for TNC-MOVIES

mount 192.168.1.13:/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/TNC-MOVIES /data/TNC-MOVIES

for TNC-MUSIC

mount 192.168.1.13:/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/TNC-MUSIC /data/TNC-MUSIC

Now i was ready the #6 on that site and combined the two and hopefully it will work on a reboot.

for TNC-MOVIES

#vi /etc/fstab//192.168.1.13:/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/TNC-MOVIES /data/TNC-MOVIES nfs rw 0 0

and for TNC-MUSIC

#vi /etc/fstab//192.168.1.13:/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/TNC-MUSIC /data/TNC-MUSIC nfs rw 0 0

and then i went on to the PMS on my RN214 and was able to see the mounts and it populated my Plex Movie folder.

Thanks again everyone

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@SiDuB wrote:

Thank You Everyone for the help, i was able to figure it out, i added the NFS app to my drobo and then went to configure it and it showed me the addresses i sould be using.

Great!  Thx for sharing your solution.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements