× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Accessing ReadyNAS Shares from iPad Air running iPadOS 13.1

TerryJColes
Luminary

Accessing ReadyNAS Shares from iPad Air running iPadOS 13.1

I have now owned my ReadyNAS for some time and have been using it to store files from Windows 10 and Linux without any issues.  My wife recently purchased an iPad Air and asked how she could backup her files and I've been trying to set this up for her.  iPadOS has a facility whereby the user can connect to an SMB server and I was able to connect to her account on the ReadyNAS and view the icon for her folder.  When I tried to open this however, the busy icon came up and never went away.

I have set up a share on the ReadyNAS and can acces it perfectly from my Linux box, so is there some reason why I can't access it from iPadOS?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

I didn't realize the iPadOS had that feature, so I haven't tried.  But I'm out of town for the next couple weeks, so I won't be able to try this myself for a while.

@TerryJColes wrote:

I'm logging into smb://admin@readynas, which is exactly the same as I do on the other devices.  For her account, I use smb://Lynn@readynas/Lynn, again what I use on the other devices.

try smb://nas-ip-address using the real ip address of the NAS of course.  Then put in Lynn in the name field (and of course the password in the password field).

This suggestion is based on this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdfdxdjUdro

Using the IP address eliminates any possibility that this is related to hostname discovery.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TerryJColes

What firmware are you running? and is Enhance MacOS enabled on SMB Global options? 

Have you tried using ReadyCloud App? ReadyCloud app also connects your iPad to the NAS and make backups of your media.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 7
TerryJColes
Luminary

The firmware is V 6.10.1 - the latest according to the admin tool.

I hadn't noticed the 'Enhance MacOS' setting, so I turned it on, but then found that I could no longer access the shares from my Linux box,  When I investigated, I found that 'Legacy Windows Discovery' had been unchecked.  When I turned that on, I could access the shares from Linux but not from the iPad.  That's when I found that 'Enhance MacOS' had been disabledSmiley Indifferent  (Don't ask me why samba on Kubuntu 19.04 (the current latest version) needs 'Legacy Windows Discovery' to be enabled.  Samba has supported very recent versions of SMB/CIFS for many years now.)

Anyway, it took a while, but now I have both options enabled, but still cannot login from the iPad.

We looked at the ReadyCloud App, but it has such a low approval rating in the User Reviews that my wife vetoed installing it.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@TerryJColes wrote:

I hadn't noticed the 'Enhance MacOS' setting, so I turned it on, but then found that I could no longer access the shares from my Linux box,  When I investigated, I found that 'Legacy Windows Discovery' had been unchecked.  When I turned that on, I could access the shares from Linux but not from the iPad. 

What credentials are you using from the iPad?  Try using admin (with the NAS admin password) as a test.

FWIW, SMB access gives her local access to the NAS.  If she wants remote access, then she could use ReadyCloud - or you could deploy a VPN (many routers now have OpenVPN built in).  OwnCloud is yet another option.

Message 4 of 7
TerryJColes
Luminary

I'm afraid that logging in to the admin account gives exactly the same behaviour; I get the home folder then the busy icon for ever when I try to open it.  I'm logging into smb://admin@readynas, which is exactly the same as I do on the other devices.  For her account, I use smb://Lynn@readynas/Lynn, again what I use on the other devices.

My wife doesn't need access remotely; she just want to connect locally like we do with the other devices in the house, including her Android phone.

We've found hints that the current version of iPadOS has more than a few bugs in it, but nothing that specifically mentions the new SMB Server function.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I didn't realize the iPadOS had that feature, so I haven't tried.  But I'm out of town for the next couple weeks, so I won't be able to try this myself for a while.

@TerryJColes wrote:

I'm logging into smb://admin@readynas, which is exactly the same as I do on the other devices.  For her account, I use smb://Lynn@readynas/Lynn, again what I use on the other devices.

try smb://nas-ip-address using the real ip address of the NAS of course.  Then put in Lynn in the name field (and of course the password in the password field).

This suggestion is based on this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdfdxdjUdro

Using the IP address eliminates any possibility that this is related to hostname discovery.

Message 6 of 7
TerryJColes
Luminary

Using the IP address instead of the hostname works; good suggestion  I also tried sharing some folders on my son's Windows 10 machine and had exactly the same problem as I did with the ReadyNAS, so presumably iPadOS isn't searching for the browse master on the Windows network.  (Do Windows networks still have a browse master? My knowledge dates back to Windows XP days.)

Now all we have to do is to find a suitable Backup program that can copy all her user files from the iPad to the ReadyNAS.  I know this isn't the right forum to mention this, but I find iPadOS 'mighty peculiar' compared to almost every othe OS I've ever used (my first was VAX/VMS).  According to the File Manager, my wife has no files on the iPad's internal storage, even though the Gallery tells her that she has lots of pictures.  Woman Surprised

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements