× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Accessing shares on ReadyNAS Pro 6

RhinoAU
Aspirant

Accessing shares on ReadyNAS Pro 6

So I'm trying to access the data on my ReadyNAS Pro 6 and when I browse the device there are 6 folders which I assume are the shares. Two of them I can't access though and give me a prompt to enter the network credentials but when I put in the credentials it gives me an error message saying its not accessible and I may not have permission to use this network resource. When I try to view the settings for these folders in the admin page they don't appear in the share listings section. All the folders I can access no problem so I don't know what the issue is. The folders are named c and home (I don't know if this has any relevance). Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: RNDP6000-200 (ReadyNAS Pro 6)|ReadyNAS® Pro 6 System Diskless|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Accessing shares on ReadyNAS Pro 6

@RhinoAU wrote:

The two folders are called C and Home

I thought that might be the case (fwiw, I missed that part of your original post).

The fact that you can see them but can't access them suggests two things

1. You are accessing the NAS using its admin credentials
  2. The NAS admin password might still be set to the default value of netgear1.

C is the entire data volume - and is not visible in file explorer unless you are using the NAS admin credentials.  Home is where the "private" folders are stored - again, it is not normally visible.  If you were able to access "C", you'd see Home again there (as well as the actual 4 shares).

It is best not to access either folder from file explorer - you can mess things up if you aren't careful in those specific folders.

I suggest creating a NAS user account, and then use that account to access the NAS.  If you are using Windows, you can do that by opening the Windows Credential Manager on the PC, and entering the NAS hostname (or IP address if you use that), and the username.  Optionally enter the password.

If you haven't ever changed the NAS admin password, then you really should do that.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

@RhinoAU wrote:

So I'm trying to access the data on my ReadyNAS Pro 6 and when I browse the device there are 6 folders which I assume are the shares. 

The shares are listed in the shares page of the web ui.  So there is no need to assume.

What are the names of the two folders that you can't access?

Message 2 of 7
RhinoAU
Aspirant

Im running RAIDiator 4.2.31

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@RhinoAU wrote:

I thought that might be the case (fwiw, I missed that part of your original post).

The fact that you can see them but can't access them suggests two things

1. You are accessing the NAS using its admin credentials
  2. The NAS admin password might still be set to the default value of netgear1.

C is the entire data volume - and is not visible in file explorer unless you are using the NAS admin credentials.  Home is where the "private" folders are stored - again, it is not normally visible.  If you were able to access "C", you'd see Home again there (as well as the actual 4 shares).

It is best not to access either folder from file explorer - you can mess things up if you aren't careful in those specific folders.

I suggest creating a NAS user account, and then use that account to access the NAS.  If you are using Windows, you can do that by opening the Windows Credential Manager on the PC, and entering the NAS hostname (or IP address if you use that), and the username.  Optionally enter the password.

If you haven't ever changed the NAS admin password, then you really should do that.

Message 4 of 7
RhinoAU
Aspirant

So there wouldn't be anymore data in those two folders that I can't access already (through the other four folders)? 

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@RhinoAU wrote:

So there wouldn't be any more data in those two folders that I can't access already (through the other four folders)? 

Correct.

Message 6 of 7
RhinoAU
Aspirant

Ok great. Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation