× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding 7th Drive = Degraded?

XrayDoc88
Guide

Adding 7th Drive = Degraded?

I've had six 12TB drives installed in a RN628X in X-RAID, RAID 5.  I just added a seventh 12TB drive.  Instead of the usual "resyncing" message on the NAS display, it says "degraded".  When I log in to the administrative page it does say resyncing.  Is the NAS saying degraded because it is converting from RAID 5 to RAID 6?  If this is the case (hopefully) Netgear should change the message from "degraded" to "converting" or something else less scary!

I just about had a heart attack.

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding 7th Drive = Degraded?

@XrayDoc88 wrote:

Is the NAS saying degraded because it is converting from RAID 5 to RAID 6? 

It will always say "degraded" when RAID redundancy is compromised, but the data is still intact.

In your case that is because the array is being converted to RAID-6, but still only has single-redundancy RAID. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding 7th Drive = Degraded?

@XrayDoc88 wrote:

Is the NAS saying degraded because it is converting from RAID 5 to RAID 6? 

It will always say "degraded" when RAID redundancy is compromised, but the data is still intact.

In your case that is because the array is being converted to RAID-6, but still only has single-redundancy RAID. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements