× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Disks 3,4 to existing ReadyNAS Volume

JordanBeckett
Aspirant

Adding Disks 3,4 to existing ReadyNAS Volume

Hey Everyone!

Quick question -- maybe it's simple, but I want to make sure I'm understanding X-RAID correctly:

I currently have a RN424 with 2x8TB. 

I also have 2x4TB each with data that is being copied to the NAS.  Once this copy is done, I'd like to integrate the 2x4TB into the current RAID.

If I add these two disks, can the current volume be expanded without reformatting the 2x8TB (containing the precious data copied from the 2x4TBs)? (I'm assuming the disks being added need to be formatted -- but will that mess with the data on the current volume?)

In other words:

DISK A - 8TB (currently in RAID) - DO NOT WANT FORMATTED

DISK B - 8TB (currently in RAID) - DO NOT WANT FORMATTED

DISK C - 4TB (adding to RAID) - OK to format

DISK D - 4TB (adding to RAID) - OK to format

Just want to double check before pulling the trigger (since I dont have redundancy until the NAS is in place.) Thank you so much for your help!

All the Best,

Jordan

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding Disks 3,4 to existing ReadyNAS Volume

@JordanBeckett wrote:

Quick question -- maybe it's simple, but I want to make sure I'm understanding X-RAID correctly:

I currently have a RN424 with 2x8TB. 

Once this copy is done, I'd like to integrate 2x4TB into the current RAID.

Generally speaking this can't be done.  The exception would be if the RN424's data volume was 2x4TB in the past.  If you aren't sure if that was the case, you can download the log zip file from the web ui, and copy/paste the contents of mdstat.log into a reply.

There's a fairly detailed (and somewhat technical) explanation here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Readynas-RAID-5-quot-protection-quo... 

But the rules are that you can:

1. always replace a disk with one of the same size
  2. always add (or replace) a disk with one that is at least as large as the biggest disk in the array
  3. add a disk that is the same size as one that used to be in the array
  4. replace a disk with one that is the same size as one that used to be in the array, as long as it is at least as large as the disk you are replacing.

@JordanBeckett wrote:

Just want to double check before pulling the trigger (since I dont have redundancy until the NAS is in place.) 

If you have 2x8TB XRAID, then you do have redundancy (the array should be RAID-1).

Assuming that you can't add the 4 TB drives to your existing volume - your other options are:

1. purchase a third 8 TB drive and add it to the array.  The NAS will convert the volume to RAID-5, and you'll have 16 TB of available storage.
  2. switch to flexraid, and add the two 4 TB disks as it's own 2x4TB RAID-1 volume. You'll end up with 12 TB of storage (and still have protection against single drive failure).
  3. switch to flexraid, and add the two 4 TB disks as two 4TB JBOD volumes. You'll end up with 16 TB of storage (but would have no protection against failure of one of the 4 TB drives).

Options 2 and 3 both require you to put some shares on the new volume[s] - possibly moving them from the existing 2x8TB one.

Personally I'd go with option 1.

One thing to keep in mind - RAID redundancy is useful, but isn't enough to keep your data safe.  The only way to do keep it safe is to back it up.

Message 2 of 4
JordanBeckett
Aspirant

Hey StephanB, thanks for the help!

That RAID breakdown really helps. I understand how X-RAID determines capacity vs protection much better now.

It sounds like adding 4TB drives at this point won't add much in the way of protection OR capacity, so I'll take your advice and pick up a couple 8s and use the 4s as a backup.

I'm still unclear about whether the current NAS volume will need to be rebuilt when I add drives 3 and 4 (4x 8TB). Though I suppose it doesn't matter since the data on the 4TB is already my backup.

I know what I need to do at least 🙂 Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

All the Best,
Jordan

Message 3 of 4
JordanBeckett
Aspirant

For anyone in my position who CANT purchase more drives and wants to add smaller drives (adding 2x4TB to an existing 2x8TB RAID) it sounds like it can be done... but as a JBOD (in Flex-RAID) which defeats the purpose for me.

Since I'm looking to increase protection as well as capacity, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy 2x8TB drives.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements