× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Seagate 10tb drives to a RN212

johnkiss
Follower

Adding Seagate 10tb drives to a RN212

while the Seagate 10Tb IronWolf ST10000VN0004 is shown as compatible in the Netgear list, the drive lacks the middle screw hole and therefore will not accept the drive carriage without cutting off the plastic carriage pin, thereby removing one of its alignment guides.  I note that the photos of this and other Seagate drives on Amazon do not show the side where the holes are, whereas the W/D drive photos do.
I'd really like to see "physical compatibility" addressed on the list as well as electronic compatibility, but contacting Netgear re something like this is not easy.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Adding Seagate 10tb drives to a RN212

You can secure it well enough using two screws to mount via the holes in the bottom, with or without the (modified) plastic insert.  I frankly don't know why Netgear went to the plastic insert.  It's not like people swap out their drives on a regular basis.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding Seagate 10tb drives to a RN212

@johnkiss wrote:

I'd really like to see "physical compatibility" addressed on the list as well as electronic compatibility, but contacting Netgear re something like this is not easy.

FWIW, Netgear has already addressed it.  Newer trays have been modified.

As @Sandshark says, you remove the plastic insert and use the screws that came with your NAS to attach the disks to the bottom of the tray.

There's more details (including how to remove the insert) on pages 163ff in the hardware manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements