× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding a disk to an old Sparc ReadyNAS NV+

aris1234
Aspirant

Adding a disk to an old Sparc ReadyNAS NV+

I have an old NV+ (Sparc) running Raidator 4.1.14.  I've had two Seagate ST2000DM001's running in XRAID for some time and decided to add a 3rd disk for more space and added redundancy.  The new disk is a Seagate ST2000VN004-2E4164 - also 2GB but not quite the same geometry as the old disk as the old ones are 1859 GB and the new one 1860 GB

I added the disk to the NAS - formatted and it shows as an available disk - but how do I added it into the XRAID?  XRAID is supposed to be expandable - but I can't quite see how to expand.

Thanks,

Model: ReadyNASRND4220|ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB (2 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@aris1234 wrote:

I have an old NV+ (Sparc) running Raidator 4.1.14.  I've had two Seagate ST2000DM001's running in XRAID for some time and decided to add a 3rd disk for more space and added redundancy. 

Three (or four) disks would switch to from RAID-1 to RAID-5.  That will increase space, but it won't add more redundancy.

@aris1234 wrote:

not quite the same geometry as the old disk as the old ones are 1859 GB and the new one 1860 GB

The new one is slightly larger though, so that should be ok.  If the new disk were smaller, it would be a problem.

There's some old advice here you could try:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160410141326/http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=550 wrote:

Login to Frontview and check to see if any apply and temporarily change the setting to what is listed below.

• Frontview > System > Performance > Enable Journaling
  • Frontview > System > Power > Disable disk spin-down
  • Frontview > Volumes > Volume Settings > Snapshot > Delete any active snapshots & turn off snapshot schedule

After changing the settings go into Frontview > System > Shutdown > Check and Fix Quotas on next boot and expansion should begin.

You might not see the snapshot settings bit with your firmware - if that's the case just skip that one.

If that fails, you could try removing the new disk and reinserting it (with the system running).  If all else fails you can do a factory reset with all disks in place, and then restore the data from backup.

Message 2 of 5
aris1234
Aspirant

Ha - was as simple as a reboot.  Who would have thought? 🙂

Message 3 of 5
aris1234
Aspirant

After quite a few hours of synching - all working.  For those looking to replace Seagate ST2000DM001, the Seagate 2 TB IronWolf 3.5 Inch 5900 RPM Internal Hard Drive  seems to work OK.

Should I be concerned with the rotational speed mismatch?  bararcuda were 7200 and this is 5900.

I'm not looking for performance here - this is purely archival.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@aris1234 wrote:

Should I be concerned with the rotational speed mismatch?  bararcuda were 7200 and this is 5900.

No.  You might have seen a drop-off on a faster NAS, but your performance is limited by the CPU in the NV+/

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements