× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding additional disks to RN214 while powered off

radu7
Aspirant

Adding additional disks to RN214 while powered off

I'm preparing to expand my x-RAID volume on my RN214 (currently has 2x10TB disks) and only see references in the documentation to adding new disks to expand storage 'hot'.  I was just curious if there is any reason to not add storage while the unit is powered off.  The reason I ask is that the location of the RN214 in question is such that adding the disks while powered on is a bit difficult, but not impossible and it would be a bit more advantageous to power the unit off and move it to a more accessible location prior to adding the drives and I thought why not just add them while it is powered down.

Since I didn't see any direct references to adding additional disks while the unit was powered-off I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding additional disks to RN214 while powered off

@radu7 wrote:

I'm preparing to expand my x-RAID volume on my RN214 (currently has 2x10TB disks) and only see references in the documentation to adding new disks to expand storage 'hot'.  I was just curious if there is any reason to not add storage while the unit is powered off.  The reason I ask is that the location of the RN214 in question is such that adding the disks while powered on is a bit difficult, but not impossible and it would be a bit more advantageous to power the unit off and move it to a more accessible location prior to adding the drives and I thought why not just add them while it is powered down.

Since I didn't see any direct references to adding additional disks while the unit was powered-off I thought I'd ask first.

I generally recommend adding/removing disks with the NAS running, because then the NAS can easily detect the removal (and replacement).  But you can add a blank disk to a powered down NAS (especially when you are filling empty slots).

Still, I wouldn't add them both at once.  It's better to add one, wait for the resync to complete, and then add the other.  Then if something were to go wrong, it would be very clear where in the sequence the problem happened.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@radu7 wrote:

I generally recommend adding/removing disks with the NAS running, because then the NAS can easily detect the removal (and replacement).  But you can add a blank disk to a powered down NAS (especially when you are filling empty slots).

Still, I wouldn't add them both at once.  It's better to add one, wait for the resync to complete, and then add the other.  Then if something were to go wrong, it would be very clear where in the sequence the problem happened.

Message 2 of 3
radu7
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB and I agree 100% with that assessment with regards to adding the disks one by one allowing the resync to complete for each disk before adding the next.  I've got the RN214 relocated to a more accessible location in preparation to adding the disks and will add them in with the unit powered on and return the unit to it's rack shelf once I've got both disks added with both resync complete.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements