× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding disks to a existing raid 0 with out re setting NV+ nas to default

art305
Aspirant

Adding disks to a existing raid 0 with out re setting NV+ nas to default

Hi
I wish to add 2x2TB drives to my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 2x2TB drives Raid 0.
Can I just delete the volume (loss of all data the data is backed up). Insert the 2x2TB into the NV+.
,Restart the NV+ then use RAIDar-4.3.8 to enter frontview set up and re-build the volume as Raid 0 retaining the original configuration.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or do I have to turn off add the 2 drives then reset the NV+ to factory default settings intercept the boot up with RAIDar-4.3.8 and reconfigure the raid to 0 then procced through the setup configuration again.
Thanks
art305

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding disks to a existing raid 0 with out re setting NV+ nas to default

It sounds like you already are using flexraid, and have a RAID-0 volume.  If so, you can avoid the RAIDar setup.

The process you want is outlined on page 21-22 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/RAIDiator4-1_SW_en_06Dec11.pdf

You will need to reconfigure the volume (recreate shares, etc).

One alternative option is to create a second RAID-0 volume (D in your case) and shift some shares over to it.  In most cases there is no operational impact (normal SMB access just gives you the share list).  You do need to keep an eye on free space, and make sure you have reasonable space on both volumes.  But in practice I haven't found that to be a huge problem.

The alternative would be faster to set up, and would be non-destructive.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It sounds like you already are using flexraid, and have a RAID-0 volume.  If so, you can avoid the RAIDar setup.

The process you want is outlined on page 21-22 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/RAIDiator4-1_SW_en_06Dec11.pdf

You will need to reconfigure the volume (recreate shares, etc).

One alternative option is to create a second RAID-0 volume (D in your case) and shift some shares over to it.  In most cases there is no operational impact (normal SMB access just gives you the share list).  You do need to keep an eye on free space, and make sure you have reasonable space on both volumes.  But in practice I haven't found that to be a huge problem.

The alternative would be faster to set up, and would be non-destructive.

Message 2 of 3
art305
Aspirant

Thanks big help.

Disks added and working I chose to proceed as the 1st part of you reply.

The process did delete the shares so I imported a config back up I had created.

Thanks again

Arthur

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements