× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding local IPs to Hosts prevents SMB access

Zippyduda
Aspirant

Adding local IPs to Hosts prevents SMB access

For some reason when I put my local Windows 7 desktop PC fixed/static IPs (192.168.1.X) into Shares > Settings > Network Access > SMB > Hosts it prevents me from accessing the Shares via My Computer > Network.

If I remove the IPs I can access them again.

Please can anyone advise me why this is?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8
BingkeX
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Adding local IPs to Hosts prevents SMB access

Hi Zippyduda,

What is your nas firmware version? And When you access the Shares via My Computer > Network, do you use anonymous login or  a specified user?

Best Regards.

Message 2 of 8
Zippyduda
Aspirant

I use firmware version 6.10.1 and I tried using three different accounts I have (one with SSH access, one without and one cloud).

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Does the Windows Credential Manager have any ReadyNAS credentials stored in it?

Message 4 of 8
Zippyduda
Aspirant

Yes but these work fine when I remove my PC fixed/static IP from the Hosts section (which I believe is meant to allow/lock down access from just the IPs you kist for security).
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Zippyduda wrote:
Yes but these work fine when I remove my PC fixed/static IP from the Hosts section (which I believe is meant to allow/lock down access from just the IPs you list for security).

Understood.  However, I would add that the credential in the Windows Credential manager is likely the one being used when you access the NAS from the network section of windows file explorer.

Is the PC directly connected to the same router or switch as the NAS? 

Also - do you have the ReadyCloud app installed?  ReadyCloud creates a VPN connection which will have a different IP address from the static one you've assigned the PC NIC.  

FWIW, that particular approach to security doesn't add much (if any) protection, so it's not a feature I'd use myself.

Message 6 of 8
Zippyduda
Aspirant

Yeah the PC is directly connected to the same router as the NAS.

I don't use the app.

Ah ok, what is it's purpose then? haha

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Zippyduda wrote:

Ah ok, what is it's purpose then? haha

It's an old mechanism, developed when people were a lot more trusting than they are now. 

Looking at the SAMBA documentation, the original intent seems more about limiting access to specific subnets than limiting access to specific machines (192.168.1.x for example).  But that use case fails if the outside access is coming through a NAT router.

In general I think that user authentication is much better approach to managing access.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements