× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Addinn more drive space for my ReadyNAS 2304

MiC_U
Aspirant

Addinn more drive space for my ReadyNAS 2304

Hello,

i am new here. i am trying to understand more about this NAS 2304.

I want to know if i add a new drive to the empty bay , will the ReadyNAS 2304 automaticlly Add the extra drive space?

Anyone have the step by steps about how to add more drive space, currently setup is RAID5, want to add more space to it.nas12343333.PNG

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

What size disk are you planning to add?  Normally you just add a disk with a size that's already in the array (or one that's bigger than the largest drive).  Just hot-insert it with the NAS running.

But something isn't quite right with your setup - your volume is 1 TB smaller than it should be.  Did you add the 4 TB disk after the others? (that would explain it). 

Since it looks you don't have any data on the NAS, you might want to do a factory default after you hot insert the disk.  That's on the system->settings page in the update section.  That will set your NAS up from scratch - and you should get your missing 1 TB of space back (plus the expansion from the new disk).

Message 2 of 9
MiC_U
Aspirant

Stephen B

Bay 1 is 3TB

Bay 2 is 6 TB 

Bay 3 None Yet *after i put a 2tb then discover the drive is bad soi removed.

Bay 4 is 4 TB  just added

i thought i can mix drives, no drive size order matter , right ?

i am thinking to get all 4tb or 6tb. i will do what you said, and upload a snap shot. 

one more questions. if i insert 3 drives for now and add one more dirve later. would the system automatic increase the drive space itself?

thanks you !

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@MiC_U wrote:

i thought i can mix drives, no drive size order matter , right ?

No, the order you add them does matter.  If you had inserted 3 TB, then 4TB, then 6 TB you'd have ended up with a 7 TB volume (~6.3 TiB shown on the volume page).  But 3 TB, 6 TB, then 4 TB gives you a 6 TB volume (5.45 TiB).

The general rules for adding a disk with XRAID is that it either 

1. needs to be bigger than any other drive in the array (> 6 TB if you are at 3 TB + 6 TB) or
  2. exactly match a disk size that's already in the array (3 TB or 6 TB if you are at 3 TB + 6TB)

In your case, your 4 TB drive is being treated as if it's a 3 TB drive (a consequence of violating the rules above when you added it).  There's no point in trying to add a 2 TB drive (even if it were healthy) - the system can't add it because it's smaller than smallest drive in your array.  The reasons for these limitations are a bit complicated. 

But if you follow the two rules above you should always be ok.  If you can't follow them, to get the full space you need to destroy the volume and create a new one with all disks in place (which is what the factory default does).  

Also, if you follow those rules, then your volume capacity is computed by summing all the disk sizes, and then subtracting the largest.

Message 4 of 9
MiC_U
Aspirant

Here is what i have updated my drives. is everything ok now ? if one of the drive fails .. i would just replace it with same size drive or bigger the let it rebuild itself?

PLEASE SEE THE ATTACMENT PICTURES 

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@MiC_U wrote:

Here is what i have updated my drives. is everything ok now ?

This looks good.  4x4TB -> 12 TB volume (shown as ~10.9 TiB by the web ui).

@MiC_U wrote:

if one of the drive fails .. i would just replace it with same size drive or bigger the let it rebuild itself?

Correct.  You'd replace it with 4 TB or larger.

Note that if you want a bigger volume you need to replace two drives.  The capacity rule is "sum the drives and subtract the largest".

Also, keep in mind that RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  So I do recommend putting a backup plan in place.  Also, it is a good idea to get a UPS for the NAS.

Message 6 of 9
MiC_U
Aspirant

thanks you Stephen!!!

you said : Also, keep in mind that RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  So I do recommend putting a backup plan 

which raid is good for my setup since i have 4x4tb 12tb. 

the reason i pick raid 5, cause the nas server picture show  it has little better load performance with Redundancy . what raid would you recommand? since  i haven't really start moving files to the nas. i want to set it right for me.  * 

thanks for your input  

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@MiC_U wrote:

the reason i pick raid 5, cause the nas server picture show  it has little better load performance with Redundancy . what raid would you recommand?  

Personally I use RAID-5 (and use other NAS to back up the main one).

RAID-6 would give you better protection during routine disk replacements, but would reduce your volume size to 8 TB.  Another drawback is that you'd need to upgrade all four drives if you need more storage.  And you really should have a backup even with RAID-6.

So I'd suggest RAID-5 combined with some form of backup (for instance USB hard drives).

Message 8 of 9
MiC_U
Aspirant

Got it 🙂 Thanks you so much !! Have a nice holidays !
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements