× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anonymous Access To Domain Joined ReadyNAS

rph1
Star

Anonymous Access To Domain Joined ReadyNAS

Hi Everyone,

I have a ReadyNAS 2120 that is currently joined to domain A. Now there is a new domain on the network, domain B. We are transitioning to domain B but while doing so, I have users in both domains. When a user is moved from domain A to domain B, they can no longer access the shares on the ReadyNAS in domain A. Is there a way to allow users in domain B access to the shares on the ReadyNAS in domain A? 

Since this is a transitional thing, I am OK with some sort of annonymous/wide open access during the transition so users from both domains can access the data until all users are migrated to domain B. I currently have the SMB protocol enabled and if enabling an additonal one will help, I am open to that too. 

Your suggestions are welcome to help maintain access to the shares from both domains until the transition is completed. 

Thanks!

Model: RN21241E|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4- Bay 4x1TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
rph1
Star

Thanks Roland and StephenB for the responses. While the users are moving from domain A to domain B, they are getting a new domain user account in domain B and their old domain A user is still active. I also tried enabling anonymous access for access and file in the NAS itself but that didn't seem to change anything. 

Both of your responses got me thinking further about the situation and I came up with something that works and allows a user to access the NAS shares after using their domain B login. Once a user starts logging into their PC using their domain B credentials, using Windows Explorer, I manually mapped a drive to the ReadyNAS share specifying the path to the share and then checking the box that says, "Connect using different credentials." Once this is checked, the user can provide their credentials from domain A and the share will get successfully mapped and allow them to access the data. I also checked the box that says, "Reconnect at sign-in" so the drive should be persistent and get mapped every time they login until the transition is completed and all share data is moved to another location.

Thanks for the help guys!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @rph1, I understand, that your migration at the moment works in a way to MOVE a user from domain A to B. So you only have one user account for an individual at all times during the migration.

Would it make sense to DUPLICATE the user accounts and have one in A and in B until the migration is finished? At the very end of the migration you would delete all users from domain A in one shot, though.

This way you would leave domain A untouched userwise until all is well in domain B.

Just trying to think out of the box and kind regards.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You can try temporarily enabling anonymous access to the public shares (look on file access and network access on the settings wheel for each share).   That might not work (windows itself is getting more strict about anonymous access)

Another option is to switch the NAS to the new domain, but also create a local user account on the NAS (giving that account access).  Then add a credential in the Windows credential manager for the legacy domain folks that uses the local NAS account.  Delete that credential when you migrate them to the new domain.  

Neither approach will give access to the private "home" shares (and you might lose the files in those shares if you aren't careful).  Is that a feature you are using?

Message 3 of 5
rph1
Star

Thanks Roland and StephenB for the responses. While the users are moving from domain A to domain B, they are getting a new domain user account in domain B and their old domain A user is still active. I also tried enabling anonymous access for access and file in the NAS itself but that didn't seem to change anything. 

Both of your responses got me thinking further about the situation and I came up with something that works and allows a user to access the NAS shares after using their domain B login. Once a user starts logging into their PC using their domain B credentials, using Windows Explorer, I manually mapped a drive to the ReadyNAS share specifying the path to the share and then checking the box that says, "Connect using different credentials." Once this is checked, the user can provide their credentials from domain A and the share will get successfully mapped and allow them to access the data. I also checked the box that says, "Reconnect at sign-in" so the drive should be persistent and get mapped every time they login until the transition is completed and all share data is moved to another location.

Thanks for the help guys!

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @rph1 , great to hear, that we successfully catalized your brains. You might want to accept your reply as the solution, though.

Kind regards

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements