× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Any new Pro 6 X86 models suited to media management ?

volpone
Aspirant

Any new Pro 6 X86 models suited to media management ?

Hi,
I'm interested knowing if Netgear plan to release soon new X86 ReadyNas models, especially replacement model for Pro 6 Business models ?

If so what are the expected new features and specs ?
I'm interested in new models with high horse power suited to media transcoding and huge library management.

Thank you and regards
Volpone
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NetGear does not announce their plans for new ReadyNAS models.

The Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200) can transcode 1080p video.
Message 2 of 10
volpone
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

Thank you mdgm.
I already own Pro Pioneer (V1 ) and i'm quite satisfied.
Wait an see to choose an hypothetical new model or RNDP6000-200.
Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro Pioneer will do 720p fine and perhaps some 1080p but to be really sure it'll do 1080p best to have a Pro 6 or some newer faster product that could be years away from release or very close.
Message 4 of 10
volpone
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The Pro Pioneer will do 720p fine and perhaps some 1080p but to be really sure it'll do 1080p best to have a Pro 6
I agree
mdgm wrote:
or some newer faster product that could be years away from release or very close.
I hope for newer and faster model and close release ! :roll: :roll:
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well we can only speculate. Pro was released late 2008, Pro 6 was released late 2010, so maybe late 2012 but we'll have to wait and see.
Message 6 of 10
PapaBear1
Guide

I will most likely depend on the availability of the chip. The Pro (Pioneer and BE) had the Intel Pentium Dual E2160 with a clock rate of 1.8GHz. Passmark rates it a 1022. The Pro 6 has the Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 with a clock rate of 2.6GHz. Passmark rates it at 1723 slightly better than the 2.66GHz C2D E6750 in my current desktop which is rated by Passmark at 1671.

The Pro 6 is the flagship of the desktop line and I would only see an upgrade in the processor under two circumstances - 1) Intel no manufactures the E5300 or 2) a competitor installs a processor that would give it a distinctive advantage over the current Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200). Of course there is no more Pioneer, it is now the Ultra 6 Plus.

We will only know about a new Pro 6 when it is announced in the announcement sections of this forum and on the ReadyNAS website.
Message 7 of 10
volpone
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
I will most likely depend on the availability of the chip. The Pro (Pioneer and BE) had the Intel Pentium Dual E2160 with a clock rate of 1.8GHz. Passmark rates it a 1022. The Pro 6 has the Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 with a clock rate of 2.6GHz. Passmark rates it at 1723 slightly better than the 2.66GHz C2D E6750 in my current desktop which is rated by Passmark at 1671.

The Pro 6 is the flagship of the desktop line and I would only see an upgrade in the processor under two circumstances - 1) Intel no manufactures the E5300 or 2) a competitor installs a processor that would give it a distinctive advantage over the current Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200). Of course there is no more Pioneer, it is now the Ultra 6 Plus.

We will only know about a new Pro 6 when it is announced in the announcement sections of this forum and on the ReadyNAS website.
Thank you PapaBear.
According to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Dual-Core E5300 seems discontinued since Feb 2011.
Perhaps a good circumstance for Netgear to upgrade soon the Pro.
However I hope so !
Regards
Message 8 of 10
szlevi
Aspirant

volpone wrote:
PapaBear wrote:

Thank you PapaBear.
According to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Dual-Core E5300 seems discontinued since Feb 2011.
Perhaps a good circumstance for Netgear to upgrade soon the Pro.
However I hope so !
Regards

Err, no, not really...

1. You're confusing retail desktop processors with OEM/embedded version; Intel clearly says there is an embedded option: http://ark.intel.com/products/35300/Int ... 00-MHz-FSB)
Those versions tend to be available as long as demand is there and we can certainly say it is there.

2. The current Intel E5300 in Pro 6 is a dual-core 2.6GHz CPU built on Wolfdale, it offers PLENTY of power (think of Core 2 Duos): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfdale_(microprocessor)

3. This is even better demonstrated if you consider that all top models of competing NAS brands come with Atoms, a substantially less powerful CPU and they are doing just fine. As a matter of fact they are doing so fine that it's unlikely to change: even though competitors will soon release their newest offerings (eg QNAP) I'd wager a serious bet that their new models will be still based on the latest Atoms (Cedar Trail) which are still perform well below of the E5300: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5273/inte ... 12-netbook
Message 9 of 10
szlevi
Aspirant

volpone wrote:
mdgm wrote:

Thank you mdgm.
I already own Pro Pioneer (V1 ) and i'm quite satisfied.
Wait an see to choose an hypothetical new model or RNDP6000-200.

AFAIK RNDP6000-200 is the new model since last year, sporting the aforementioned E5300 processor.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements