× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apps not working properly after 8TB upgrade

rcanpolat1
Aspirant

Apps not working properly after 8TB upgrade

I've upgraded my ReadyNAS 102 from a 2TB (no redundancy) to an 8TB (no redundancy) single drive.

The 8TB upgrade is a completely fresh install. (i reset the readynas factory settings so its completely clean, like a new setup)

Since doing this all i have done is changed the admin password and deleted the photos, videos, documents folder etc so all i have left is the home folder and a folder i created called Media on the 8TB data drive. 

HTTP and HTTPS are both turned on along with smb, afp, upnp & readyDLNA

IP address along with ports are still the same. No changes made there. 

ReadyNAS throws the below error from the log:

System: Found app [nastools-transmission] with bad configuration. Disabling its configuration page.

When i try launch the app i get the below error in-browser:

Not Found
The requested URL /apps/nastools-transmission was not found on this server.

Can someone advise because its driving me nuts. I was running Transmission NT fine before i changed the hard drive with no issues. OS version is the exact same. 

Further: I have tried regular Transmission (the non NT version) and i can't get it to nav to the main page. I have also tried qBittorrent and that works fine except i can't upload a torrent into the app to make it que and start. I would prefer to run NT because it seems to be very lightweight and the 102 is no means a fast NAS. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling NT several times to no success. 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Apps not working properly after 8TB upgrade

Did you restore the configuration files from the 2 TB setup?  If so, did you reinstall transmission first?

Message 2 of 10
rcanpolat1
Aspirant

I didn't export the volume or back it up. I just cut and paste the files from the 2tb to another drive. Then pulled out the 2tb and factory reset with with the new 8tb drive, then installed transmission and now it doesn't work.
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

It's not an app I use myself, so I can't help much.  Odd that it doesn't work on the new system.

One thing you could try is power down the NAS, and boot it up with only the 2 TB drive in place.  Then access the NAS with admin credentials - for example on a Windows PC

net use * /delete /y
net use  t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real ip address and NAS admin password of course.

That will mount the full NAS data volume as drive letter T.  there will be a hidden folder on T called .apps.  You will be able to navigate into it even if you can't see it.  You could try copying the transmission folder (and any subfolders) onto your PC.  Then power down the NAS, and restore your new 8 TB drive.  You can then try copying that folder back into .apps on the new NAS.  Then try rebooting it.

Message 4 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Were you running OS6.10.0 or above on the old system?  If not, and you are now, that's the likely problem.  The kernel updates in 6.10.0 broke a lot of things (PHP 7 among them, which is used by a lot of apps).  Rnxtras.com has an ARM-specific version of Transmission and an updated PHP 7 if Transmission needs it.  They are not free, but are reasonably priced, and WhoCares does tend to keep them up to date.  NASTools, who published the NT versions of some apps, has been MIA for some 18 months now.

Message 5 of 10
rcanpolat1
Aspirant

Nope. I'm running the exact same OS version (6.10.1)

I ended up doing a doctor's reset again. This time I've managed to get Transmission running but it won't let me change the download directories (I change them but the files end up in the default location anyway)

Transmission NT still shows the same fault. It makes no sense why it won't work.
Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It's probably a dependancy issue (programs and modules it calls but are not standard on the NAS or included in the package itself).  When you installed it before, it installed the dependancies that were current at the time and worked.  Installing it now, it's getting the current versions of the dependancies, one of which may no longer be compatible with either the program or the NAS kernel.  

Message 7 of 10
rcanpolat1
Aspirant

Ok, I'll bite the bullet and move away from Netgear. It's obviously a failing solution.

Thanks for all your help guys
Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@rcanpolat1 wrote:
Ok, I'll bite the bullet and move away from Netgear. 

Buy a new NAS instead of spending €2.99 for a supported version of Transmission from https://rnxtras.com/readynas-os6-arm ?

Seems rather extreme.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I agree.  Why are you trying so hard to install a 3 year old version of an app, created by a user who left the ReadyNAS scene quite some time ago, on a current OS version?  And why does your inability to do so cause you to somhow think another brand of NAS won't have a similar issue with outdated apps?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements