× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Authorized duo v2 disks discontinued...

Ianlighting
Aspirant

Authorized duo v2 disks discontinued...

Hi,

Im on the verge on getting a Duo v2, but before taking the plunge i thought id check on the recommended disks. My problem is that on day one i need to reduce costs but im still trying to get a quality product that i can improve upon as funds allow. So this leads me to get 500 or 750 GB disks. Unfortunately all the listed disks on the official Netgear list are discontinued - at least at all of the obvious online retailers you'd choose to trade with.

So does anyone know the process Netgear go through to produce the list? The Duo v1 list is much longer so is there something more fundamental that the v2 needs that reduces my options? If i know what that requirement is at least i can search for it myself. I may be forced to go off-piste and get a non validated disk. I know Netgear have big red disclaimers about this but i think im stuck without doing this unless anyone has any comments.

As the Duo v2 is still new perhaps the isnt the depth of experience yet, but id appreciate any feedback people might have.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 3
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Authorized duo v2 disks discontinued...

Newegg has the 1TB WD10EARX for $147 with shipping which is in the same price range as most of the 750GB drives. The Duo v2 is a new product that has just been released. It will take a while to evaluate more drives. The NV+ on the other hand is a very mature product, as it is a minor 2006 upgrade to the NV which was released in 2005, so many of the drives on it's lengthy list have already been long discontinued. With drive manufacturers upgrading and replacing drives on a fairly frequent basis, it is hard to keep the lists current. The drives that are in my trusty old NV+ (v1) are not on the v2 list either. They have also been superseded by newer drives as well, and they are only 18 months old.
Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Authorized duo v2 disks discontinued...

Generally most disks that get qualified tend to be high capacity ones. However due to the Thailand floods I guess it's possible some more low capacity disks than usual will get qualified. We'll have to wait and see.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements