× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Aws S3 backup - migrating from custom scripts to inbuilt feature?

Aws S3 backup - migrating from custom scripts to inbuilt feature?

Hi

A couple of years ago I paid a friend to help me setup some backups to AWS S3.

Overall it has worked well, however I'm interested in whether the built in functionality on the NAS can do the same thing? And whether people find it to be robust?

The problem with my existing setup is that I have had no visibility over what was happening under the hood. Occasionally I would get emails when an alarm was triggered but it didn't describe what the problem was, and I had to call my friend to ask him. Until last week the scripts were password protected but I have access to them now - they're quite convoluted for an end user like me.

Anyways - I want a solution that I have visibility over and can (on the whole) manage myself, and have the ability to change the folders that I'm backing up.

I'm wondering if someone would mind checking out the backup scripts via PM (as I'm uncertain if it contains any personal info)? I'm happy to pay someone if I need to setup something proprietary or if extra time is needed to review. I'm using versioning on aws, and after a time period the data moves to Glacier storage, and I'm uncertain as to whether this is managed with the script or a built in function on the aws side.

Message 1 of 2

Re: Aws S3 backup - migrating from custom scripts to inbuilt feature?

Does anyone know where the amazon-S3.log is located on the NAS? I'm hoping to set up an alert in case backups fail.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements