× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Schedule to other NAS drive

xbmcgotham
Tutor

Backup Schedule to other NAS drive

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to setup an automatic backup schedule to another NAS drive on the network?

I was playing with the settings, however cant get it to work.

If it is possible, how would I enter the correct settings for a scheduled backup on th eReadynas NV+ v2 to another NAS drive/share with the following info URL:

Network path to backup location: //back-up/nas/

Thanks for the tip!

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Re: Backup Schedule to other NAS drive

So found the solution. Dont ask me how or why, but it works now suddenly.

After many tries, this is what I found to be the correct format of entering the backup destination info when connecting to Synology Rsync service from a Readynas NV+ v2 running Radiator 5.

BACKUP DESTINATION

Type: remote

Name: remote: Rsync Server

Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Path: NetBackup

Login: (username of the account you created on the Synology for the rsync service) 

Password: (password of the account you created on the Synology for the rsync service)

After clicking "Test Connection" this should give a Successful message.

When if saved this backup configuration, and ran it, I received an error message telling me that the account was disabled. I could not figure out why this message was shown as I had setup everything by default on the Synology. I did notice that one setting I had not enabled as it was descibed in my humble opinion to be not needed. This was the "Enable rsync account". I though it would be worth the try to enable it and click on the "Edit rsync Account" button. This opened up a window with rsync accounts which showed to be empty. I clicked on the "Add" button and selected the rsync account which I had already created for the Rsync service and entered its password again. After saving it, suddenly the Readynas Backup worked after running ir from the Readynas Backup page.

Making it complete; I have also screenshots available of the Synology Rsync service configuration that worked for me however, I can only upload one attachement but no zip. any ideas how to add the couple of screenshots I have?

Keep in mind, I created a dedicated user called "rsync" which would only be allowed access to the Rsync NetBackup share location with Read/Write.

Hope this helps others.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 21

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to setup an automatic backup schedule to another NAS drive on the network?

Absolutely.  Though personally I tend to run the backup jobs on the destination NAS (backing up another NAS, not to another NAS).

@xbmcgotham wrote:

If it is possible, how would I enter the correct settings for a scheduled backup on th eReadynas NV+ v2 to another NAS drive/share with the following info URL:

What NAS is this (manufacturer, model).  What protocol are you using? SMB, NFS, RSYNC?

Are the two NAS on the same network?

Message 2 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi @StephenB

Thanks for keep coming back solving my issues. 🙂

Both NAS's are on local network. 

The NAS I want to use for backing-up the Readynas NV+ v2 data is a Synology DS218j

I have smb and afp on both enabled as I am using mac and windows PC's on the network.

Have not worked with rsync, so not sure what it is and what it can do.

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

Have not worked with rsync, so not sure what it is and what it can do.

I definitely would use rsync for this.  Generally it's the best way to do incremental NAS->NAS backups.

Are you backing up the Synology to the NV+ v2, or are you backing up the NV+ v2 to the Synology?

Message 4 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi, I am doing Readynas to Synology backup.

How would I set this up correctly on the Readynas and synology? Easy steps?

Message 5 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

How would I set this up correctly on the Readynas and synology? Easy steps?

Unfortunately I don't have a synology, so I don't know exactly what the steps would be.  Hopefully someone who does will chime in.

You could try setting up a ReadyNAS rsync backup to a Synology share, and see what happens.  You would need to enable rsync on the synology side, and create credentials that you'd use in the ReadyNAS backup job.

There is some info on the synology side here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_rsync

The ReadyNAS info is here: https://kb.netgear.com/29788/ReadyNAS-Backup-FAQ

Message 6 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi,

You mean I need to enable rsync on both sides to be able to use it? Or only on the Synology NAS and than fillout the Synology rsync credentials in the Readynas backup schedular? But this would mean I would push instead of your initial suggestion to better pull?

In any case, I will check on the Synology tomorrow what rsync offers and get back here with an update. 🙂

Message 7 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

You need to enable RSYNC on both.  Read-Only is fine for the source, Read/Write for the destination.  If you are having trouble getting it to work using the NAS name, try the IP address.

Message 8 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi guys, thanks for helping out.

I have enable rsync service on the synology NAS and changed the default port number. Created a user named rsync and gave it read/write permissions on the NetBackup share. Thats the only things I did on the Synology NAS.

Than on the Readynas I am trying to add the connection to the Synology NAS. However, I cant get it connected. I am not sure if it is the format in one of the input fields that is the issue. The browse button is also grayed out. Anybody has an example of the correct way to enter the data? See screenshot attached.

Thanks

Message 9 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

I have enable rsync service on the synology NAS and changed the default port number.

However, I cant get it connected. 

I am not sure if it is the format in one of the input fields that is the issue.

I'd use with the standard port number.  I don't think the NV+ v2 will take a non-standard port number in the hostname field - and there's not much reason to use a non-standard port on a home network. So try changing the port back on the synology, and just entering it's IP address in the host field.

Not sure on the path field, but it might require /volume/NetBackup (using whatever volume name your Synology is using).

Also, in some older NAS, "test connection" will sometimes fail even if the the backup job will work.

Also, you might want to set the file permissions on the NetBackup folder in the Synology so that everyone can read/write to the folder.  Then lock it down more tightly after you get it working.

Message 10 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Your right, just a hld habbit of mine, changing standard port for safety. 🙂

I have tried different paths, but no success. For example, if I use:

I get the following error:

Job: Full Backup
Protocol: rsync
Source: [Test]/
Destination: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/NetBackup

ERROR: The remote path must start with a module name not a /
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1534) [sender=3.0.9]

Backup failed. Tue Oct 8 11:26:58 GMT 2019.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /Test/ ==> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/NetBackup due to unknown reason.

However, connecting to this path (smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/NetBackup) with login credentials on my Mac, works fine.

I am trying to see if the "Reason for Failure" message contains a tip, but cant see it. You?

Message 11 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

Your right, just a hld habbit of mine, changing standard port for safety. 🙂

I have tried different paths, but no success. For example, if I use:

I get the following error:

ERROR: The remote path must start with a module name not a /
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1534) [sender=3.0.9]

Job: Full Backup
Protocol: rsync
Source: [Test]/
Destination: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/NetBackup

Backup failed. Tue Oct 8 11:26:58 GMT 2019.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /Test/ ==> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/NetBackup due to unknown reason.

Note I re-ordered your reply a bit (I think you put the errors in the wrong place).

I don't own a v2 or a synology, so I can't help much on the syntax of the path.  It's possible it needs to be NetBackup/ but it could also need the volume name of the synology.  The ReadyNAS might also want a prepended /. 

But it won't need the IP address in the path field - it will generate that from the hostname.  So your second approach won't lead you anywhere useful.

Browse might help (worth a try anyway).

@xbmcgotham wrote:

However, connecting to this path (smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/NetBackup) with login credentials on my Mac, works fine.

Of course you'd expect that, since NetBackup is a share.  But rsync is a totally different service.

Message 12 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

So found the solution. Dont ask me how or why, but it works now suddenly.

After many tries, this is what I found to be the correct format of entering the backup destination info when connecting to Synology Rsync service from a Readynas NV+ v2 running Radiator 5.

BACKUP DESTINATION

Type: remote

Name: remote: Rsync Server

Login: (username of the account you created on the Synology for the rsync service) 

Password: (password of the account you created on the Synology for the rsync service)

After clicking "Test Connection" this should give a Successful message.

When if saved this backup configuration, and ran it, I received an error message telling me that the account was disabled. I could not figure out why this message was shown as I had setup everything by default on the Synology. I did notice that one setting I had not enabled as it was descibed in my humble opinion to be not needed. This was the "Enable rsync account". I though it would be worth the try to enable it and click on the "Edit rsync Account" button. This opened up a window with rsync accounts which showed to be empty. I clicked on the "Add" button and selected the rsync account which I had already created for the Rsync service and entered its password again. After saving it, suddenly the Readynas Backup worked after running ir from the Readynas Backup page.

Making it complete; I have also screenshots available of the Synology Rsync service configuration that worked for me however, I can only upload one attachement but no zip. any ideas how to add the couple of screenshots I have?

Keep in mind, I created a dedicated user called "rsync" which would only be allowed access to the Rsync NetBackup share location with Read/Write.

Hope this helps others.

Message 13 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

I see "Photos" icon in the toolbar that I use to post screenshots.  There can be more than one in a post.

If you don't see that, maybe post a downloadable link to the zip.  Then I can reply with the screenshots, so they will be persistant.

Message 14 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi, thanks for doing this. I am using an older Mac with safari, maybe this is the reason this function is not shown for me. see attached.

The link to the zip: https://we.tl/t-tCAOWMHYJT

Message 15 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

The link to the zip: https://we.tl/t-tCAOWMHYJT

Here are the screenshots:

NetBackup Folder Share - Advanced Permissions.pngNetBackup Folder Share - General.pngNetBackup Folder Share - Permissions.pngRsync Service.pngUser Rsync - Applications.pngUser Rsync - Info.pngUser Rsync - Permissions.pngUser Rsync - User Groups.pngUser Rsync.png

Message 16 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Thanks again @StephenB!

Just wondering about one of your comments.

You remarked that it would be good to only have read permission on the Host(ReadyNas) for Rsync. How do I do this? Dont see this in the settings of the Readynas Backup config.

And is the Readynas Backup using Rsync to the Synology NAS always a mirror? I want to be sure that nothing is changed on the Host (Readynas).

Message 17 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

You remarked that it would be good to only have read permission on the Host(ReadyNas) for Rsync. How do I do this? Dont see this in the settings of the Readynas Backup config.

On other ReadyNAS it's a share setting.

@xbmcgotham wrote:

And is the Readynas Backup using Rsync to the Synology NAS always a mirror? I want to be sure that nothing is changed on the Host (Readynas).

It shouldn't change anything on the source.  

There should be a setting that will automatically delete files on the destination Synology that are no longer on the source ReadyNAS.  Setting it makes the Synology a true mirror.  If you don't set it, you have more protection from deletions, but over time there will "clutter" on the Synology.  Personally I do set it. 

Message 18 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Ah, ok, I understand. I wont have this option of "read only" for my setup.

I also think that OS5 doesn't have this option to delete files on destination, its not in the option list, see screenshot attached. No worries as this probably means that it will make a proper mirror anyway.

I do think its a pitty that OS5 doesn't have a backup schedular that will allow for week or month backups, it only shows hourly till 24 max. And its a little confusing to configure. 🙂

Still great that we got it to work on my end.

CU

Message 19 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

Ah, ok, I understand. I wont have this option of "read only" for my setup.

A little surprising that you don't see the option on the share settings screen (page 34 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiato...).  I'd expected there would be an rsync control when the rsync button was checked on the top of that screen.

@xbmcgotham wrote:

I also think that OS5 doesn't have this option to delete files on destination, its not in the option list, see screenshot attached. No worries as this probably means that it will make a proper mirror anyway.

You might not have the option - there is an old post here saying it wasn't in 5.3.5, but nothing more recent.  I believe that if you don't have it, the Synology will include files that aren't on the NAS.  You can test this by creating a test file, waiting for it to be backed up, then delete it on the NAS (and see if the deletion propagates when the backup runs again).

If you don't have it, then you could look into the synology backup tools - which should be similar to the ReadyNAS.  They might have this option, and they might also have the scheduling options you are looking for.

FWIW, Your screen shot is similar to the one on OS-4 and OS-6.  The option I am referring to is on an "advanced" tab just for rsync in both of those.  In OS-6, it looks like this:

rsync advanced.png

The wording in OS 4 is confusing - "remove deleted files on source" if I remember it correctly.  But it does the same thing.

Message 20 of 21
xbmcgotham
Tutor

A little surprising that you don't see the option on the share settings screen (page 34 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiator%205.3%20SW%20Manual_5Sep12.pdf).  I'd expected there would be an rsync control when the rsync button was checked on the top of that screen.

Yes, thanks for the tip. I was looking in the wrong location. In shares I selected the folder that is being backed-up to the synology NAS and have now enabled "read only" for Rsync.

FWIW, Your screen shot is similar to the one on OS-4 and OS-6.  The option I am referring to is on an "advanced" tab just for rsync in both of those.  In OS-6, it looks like this:

I do think its not in my version as everything is similar but "advanced" tab is not present. I did notice it being present on my other Readynas Duo.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements