× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup - sync functionality

BlackCloud
Tutor

Backup - sync functionality

Running OS 6.1.2 on the 102 model.

I am setting up backup jobs and I want the destination folder on my ReadyNas to replicate what is happening in my source folder (laptop). I might have understood the manual (Apr'13 version) incorrectly but it shows two alternative: default setting which is incremental (i.e. deleted files on the source will remain on the destination provided they have been previously backed-up) and a sync one I prefer (i.e. deleted files on the source will be deleted from the destination provided they have been previously backed-up).

When setting up a backup job you have an option called "remove deleted files at source", which according to the manual is what I want - problem is that it is not possible to tick that option.

Are there limitations as to when this can be used, if not can it be reactivated/introduced in the next OS version?
Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

I think that option is only available if you're using rsync.
Message 2 of 8
BlackCloud
Tutor

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I guess the option then is to do a full wipe of the backup already on the destination.
Message 3 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

If you don't want to setup rsync then yes.
Alternatively you can use backup software on the laptop to backup to the NAS, you can then configure it to do incremental backups with periodic full backups which would achieve what you want.

You can use any backup software for this , but take a look at deltacopy too.
Message 4 of 8
BlackCloud
Tutor

Thanks again! I looked into DeltaCopy and it works a dream - so simple to set up I almost thought I missed something.

Note to others wanting to give DeltaCopy a go: if you are happy to initiate backup from your computer only use the DeltaCopy client (after installation the server window appears, close that one and access the client from the start menu). Also, make sure that your ReadyNAS destination folder has rsync enabled.
Message 5 of 8
BlackCloud
Tutor

A follow-up question; it does seem like DeltaCopy copies all files every time, i.e. does not skip identical files on the server (ReadyNas) and takes longer time to complete. It also seems to eat into the storage by the full source folder size at each backup run - surely this cannot be correct?
Message 6 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

BlackCloud wrote:
Note to others wanting to give DeltaCopy a go: if you are happy to initiate backup from your computer only use the DeltaCopy client (after installation the server window appears, close that one and access the client from the start menu). Also, make sure that your ReadyNAS destination folder has rsync enabled.

Another note: Unless DeltaCopy has been updated since the last time I looked at it, it requires full read access to everything you want to backup, it won't copy files with pathnames longer than 255 characters (source or destination), it won't backup/restore Windows ACLs, it won't copy filenames that contain Unicode characters, and it won't copy open or locked files. It might also be unable to copy files larger than 4GB; I don't remember for sure.

If you use DeltaCopy, you should test your backup (or at least examine it carefully) to make sure that those restrictions don't cause problems for your particular situation.
Message 7 of 8
BlackCloud
Tutor

Thanks for the comment! I am always a bit hesitant about adding "functionality" that is already in place, but rsync seemed to work fine in my tests.

Unfortunately now my ReadyNAS 102 has packed in, or at least failing to boot (power led rapidly flashing, ACT led constant, disk leds are blank even though disks are spinning). RAIDar find the unit and the disks but cannot access it. Admin login cannot establish connection.

I got a Level 3 ticket with priority 1 logged seven hours ago but still no feedback, not even to the Level 1/2 support that logged the ticket...

Has anyone successfully tried a OS reinstall using only one disk? At this point I am nut trusting that it will not format/corrupt the disks and want to safeguard the redundancy.

Thanks.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements