× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup to NAS fills local drive

chrisb691
Aspirant

Backup to NAS fills local drive

I have my NAS connected to my router, and backup my laptop to it via a wireless connection to the router. I have a share setup as a mapped drive on the laptop. The backups complete successfully, but also consume the same space on my laptop as is taken up on the NAS. So a Disk and Partitions backup of 209 GB onto the NAS, also reduces the capacity on my laptop disk by 209 GB. This means that I keep filling up my laptop drive, and have to delete backups to recover space. So in the case of the Disk and Partitions backup, the used space on the laptop drive is in the folder 

C:\owner\appdata\microsoft\windows\network shortcuts\ReadyNASshares\sharedNAS\disk and partitions\.

My usual backup software is Acronis True Image 2019, but I have also tried Macrium Reflect with the same result. I have spent a long time with Acronis support trying to resolve this problem, but they advise that it is an issue specifically with ReadyNAS, and not their software. This seems to have credit, as Macrium Reflect has the same reult.

So far I have been unable to find this issue reported on the forum, but will keep looking, and any assistance will be gratefully accepted.

Chris

Model: ReadyNAS RNDX4210|ReadyNAS NVX
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup to NAS fills local drive

I suspect that Windows is set up to allow off-line access to the files and folders in the share.  When set up that way,  Windows will keep a copy of the share on the local PC.

You can solve this by opening the Sync Center on the PC and

1. In the left pane, click on the Manage offline files link.
  2. Click on the Disable offline files button.
  3. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
  4. Click on OK.
  5. Click on Yes to restart the computer.

Though many backup programs (including Acronis) can back up directly to the network share.  So you actually don't need to map the share at all.

Message 2 of 6
chrisb691
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen,

Offline files was already disabled, so that's not it.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Well, C:\owner\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\network shortcuts is empty on my Win10 PCs.  I also use Acronis TrueImage to back them up to the NAS.

What version of Windows are you using?

Have you checked the NAS to make sure that Acronis is backing up to the NAS?

Message 4 of 6
chrisb691
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I am on windows 10, and the NAS is definitely getting the backups. Are you backing up via wireless, or cable connection to the NAS?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@chrisb691 wrote:

Are you backing up via wireless, or cable connection to the NAS?

Both wireless and ethernet.  The Acronis target is set directly to the NAS share ( \\nas-ip-address\sharename )

FWIW, I do this from 4 Win10 PCs.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements