× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bad Disc Problem - Unresponsive ReadyNAS

wreford
Follower

Bad Disc Problem - Unresponsive ReadyNAS

I have a NeadyNas NV which is around 4 or 5 years old (not sure exactly). I updated the operating system 2 days ago to Radiator 4.1.8. Shortly after, I got several log messages as follows:

1) 13 Sep 14.55 - RAID Event detected: RAID Synch started on Volume C.
2) 13 Sep 22.45 – RAID Synch started on volume C
3) 14 Sep 8.54 - New SMART disk detected!: ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 3: Previous count:0 Current Count: 143…. Disc 4: Previous count: 0 Current count: 70 …… Growing SMART errors indicate that a disk may fail soon. You should be prepared to replace disk.
4) 14 Sep 9.03 – X-RAID engine has failed to start.
5) 14 Sep 9.06 - Resynch Recommended: A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resynch…. (etc.)

So I went in to the Control panel and checked the Health logs – it was indicating that all discs were fine. But I initiated a RAID volume resync from the volumes page as recommended. After that the NAS froze up, so I had to power it down. I then re-started it and, when I tried to scan for it with Raidar, I cannot find the ReadyNas at all now.

On the box itself, the blue power button is pulsing steadily but there are no other LEDs showing.

So, what now? Does this mean the whole thing has failed? Or am I meant to replace one of the discs? I thought the whole point of a RAID drive is precisely that one cannot lose data as if one disc fails the others replicate the data – but it now seems the whole thing has failed. I am not an IT expert so have very limited understanding of technical issues, so grateful if you could bear that in mind in any responses! :?

I used the NAS to store my FLAC music collection on (I thought that this would be the safest option) and so am very, very, very keen to save the data!
Message 1 of 3
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: Bad Disc Problem - Unresponsive ReadyNAS

I recommend that you contact support right away.
Message 2 of 3
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Bad Disc Problem - Unresponsive ReadyNAS

You may be encountering the dreaded dual drive failure. By all means contact tech support. If your unit is more than 90 days old, enter a support request on line. Once you get the case number, edit your first post and add the case # at the end.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements