× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad Firmware Update on ReadyNAS 314

Lasertop
Aspirant

Bad Firmware Update on ReadyNAS 314

I'm getting a "mount_block_root +25e" on my Readynas 314 after I updated my firmware, I tried the create a USB boot drive to restore it but it doesn't seem to work even after using a couple different USB drives.  

Any suggestions, or did this new firmware build just kill my ReadyNas Storage device?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Lasertop

Have you tried booting the NAS without the drives and see if it still gets the same message? If it does, might be better to contact Support.

Trying a few more Flash drives ranging from 1GB to 4GB might be advised as well since not all USBs work at first try.

HTH

Message 2 of 7
Lasertop
Aspirant

I tryed pulling the drives and two different USB Sticks to no avail.
I only have those two that meet the size requirements, is there a particular brand of USB Stick I need?  Since It looks like I'm going to have to buy one do not want to buy a half a dozen hoping that I hit on one that works.

Thanks

Bob

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Some super cheap Chinese ones on eBay have worked for me.  Amazon has similar ones.  They tend to be slow, so likely use older technology.  You absolutely do not want a USB3 one.

Message 4 of 7
Lasertop
Aspirant

Now I was under the impression all USB sticks come from China 🙂

It is interesting that you say we shouldn't use a USB 3 device, I'm not sure what my USB Sticks are but looking at the manual the front USB Port is USB2 and the back two are USB3.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

All I can tell you about USB2 vs. USB3 sticks is that I have never seen anyone on the forum report success with a USB3 device.

I've not delved into USB protocol to know why that might be, but it's likely related to a negotiation of the connection type.

Message 6 of 7
Lasertop
Aspirant

We'll the good news is I got it back up and running.  I think you were on to something about USB 3 sticks not working.  I found a USB 2 stick and it spun up just fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements