× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad permissions problems with macOS Mojave connecting to ReadyNAS Pro 626X

dhl
Luminary
Luminary

Bad permissions problems with macOS Mojave connecting to ReadyNAS Pro 626X

We're having permissions problems with all our Macs running macOS Mojave connected to our ReadyNAS. The main symptom is that files open as read only and can't be saved back to the NAS from inside the application. They need to be saved to the desktop then copied back onto the NAS. It's a huge PITA.

Permisssions on the NAS appear to be fine. I just did a test connecting with my laptop which is running and older version of macOS (10.12.6 Sierra) and everything works perfectly. Word documents can be opened modified, and saved (in Mojave they open as read-only). Same with the Adobe apps like Photoshop and Illustrator.

The problem is only with Macs running Mojave.

The NAS is on the latest firmware 6.10.2.

This problem is driving my partners and staff crazy. Any advice?

Thanks for your help!

--David

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I have seen this reported before, but not a definitive answer.  There are two things you can try.  In System/Settings, insure that "Enhance MacOS" is selected under SMB.  Then, on the offending share(s) settings, go to File Access then Reset, and perform the reset.

Message 2 of 9
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

"Enhance MacOS" is indeed checked (we use the NAS for Time Machine which is working fine on all machines)

I tried resetting permissions but no change - all shares work fine on my laptop under Sierra, but are all locked on machines running Mojave.

Any other suggetions or thoughts?

@StephenB - any advice?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dhl wrote:

I tried resetting permissions but no change - all shares work fine on my laptop under Sierra, but are all locked on machines running Mojave.

@StephenB - any advice?

I'm not a Mac user, but when I google this issue, it isn't just with ReadyNAS.  I didn't see a clear conclusion on either the cause or the fix - one reason is that there are several issues with similar symptoms going back to at least 2014.

Some folks said that avoiding use of "column" view in finder resolved it (or at least reduced the frequency) - using list or icon view instead.  One person said that using cifs:// in finder instead of smb:// worked around it.  This would force the use of the SMB 1.0 client on the Mac.

Did you reset file permissions using the RESET control on the file access page?  That's the best way to reset permissions recursively.

Message 4 of 9
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB 

Thanks for the reply. Yes I reset permissions for all shares at the share level using the RESET control in the file access tab. No imprvovement.

I saw similar things when I researched the problem on Google as well which is why this is so frustrating. Nothing floks suggested worked for us.

It seems to be a problem specific to SMB and Mojave.

I don't think we can use AFP with Mojave so is there anything we can do to tweak SMB from the ReadyNAS side?

We're also considering upgrading to macOS Catalina. It should be okay with the appliacations we use. But if we can avoid it and get Mojave working that would be better. 

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dhl wrote:

I don't think we can use AFP with Mojave so is there anything we can do to tweak SMB from the ReadyNAS side?

Not that I know of.

Is NFS a possibility?  You might need a script to mount the shares though.

Message 6 of 9
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

I just did a test on one of the shares turning AFP on and connecting via AFP. It worked perfectly on a machine with Mojave.

This suggests it's definately a problem with ReadyNAS SMB and Mojave.

We've been running our machines with macOS Mojave for over a year without any problems until the recent 6.10.2 update that fixed the missing server icon in the macOS sidebar.

This is now looking to me like either an SMB bug in ReadyNAS OS 6.10.2, or an SMB update that's broken compatibility with macOS.

Can you please investigate?

Even though AFP is deprecated, if turning it on works, I'm willing to go that route for the short term untill there's a SMB fix. Any downsides to this?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@dhl wrote:

@JohnCM_S - I think this request it directed at you all.

Message 8 of 9
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@dhl wrote:

@JohnCM_S - I think this request it directed at you all.

Thanks @StephenB

@JohnCM_S  - Please let me know if you need any more info or need to get into our NAS to track this bug down. Happy to help.

Thanks!

--David

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements