× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best Expansion Unit for Netgear NAS

BobFord
Aspirant

Best Expansion Unit for Netgear NAS

I have an RN628X unit and am looking to put an expansion unit to take at least 5 HDD's (3.5" SATA).

What is the panels view of best options?

TVMIA

Bob

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
BobFord
Aspirant

Thanks all for the comments - much appreciated

I think short term, I'll go for the multi-bit and then look to expand the NAS suite in due course

View solution in original post

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BobFord

EDA500 would be the compatible expansion chassis 🙂 though the 628X only has 1 e-SATA port but should accommodate your 5 HDD expansion.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 7
BobFord
Aspirant

Thanks Marc

All search results in the UK are showing as this device is discontinued.

Are there other units that users herein would recommend?

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Adding a second NAS unit to your network would add better performance than an expansion unit and expansion units should have a separate data volume anyway.

You could add a RN426, RN428, RN526X, RN528X, RN626X or RN628X to your network.

Message 4 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BobFord

Yes you are right, It's already EOL (End of Life) 😞 That is the only available expansion chassis recommended for the RN628X.

If you really want one, You will have to check with resellers if they still have stocks or buy used online. However, buying used does not have any warranty.

and going with @mdgm-ntgr 's advised would be a good idea 🙂

Regards

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

Adding a second NAS unit to your network would add better performance than an expansion unit and expansion units should have a separate data volume anyway.

I agree.  It's also more robust. 

Also, if you want to transfer information between the two NAS you might consider getting an RN500 or RN600 series (with 10GBASE-T) and add a multigig switch.  This should outperform NIC bonding.  Netgear's offerings for that are here: http://www.netgear.com/landings/multi-gig/

Message 6 of 7
BobFord
Aspirant

Thanks all for the comments - much appreciated

I think short term, I'll go for the multi-bit and then look to expand the NAS suite in due course

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements