× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best system to buy for Tivo archiving (et al)

GRS1
Tutor

Best system to buy for Tivo archiving (et al)

I have a readynas 600 that has been chirping along for years, with some mostly minor problems. Been around since the beginning! Generally, happy - Now that I see the possibility of Tivo storage, I'm looking at a new use/solution.

So, the question. If cost isn't an object, what new readynas system should I get to provide tivo storage. Maximum storage is a key. The other nice quality would be to start with a couple of terabytes, and then slowly increase storage over time, ultimately reaching the maximum technically available. I assume XRAID is the place to go for this.

I see that there is a 6 bay system available, and have seen a maximum storage of both 12 and 18 gigs. I assume that is essentially the same system, the latter is using the relatively new 3GB drives.

What is the actual theoretical maximum on such a system? I.E, if 32 gig drives become available, is the storage 6*32G?

Lastly, I assume XRaid would provide similar storage utilization to raid 5? Something on the order of 60%? (And also allow me to cut over to larger sizes as they are available)

What do you think I should do, and what is the ultimate limit when drive size is removed as a factor?

Lets also assume cost isn't a factor excludes the humorous solutions; Lets stick to the standard out of the box ideas!

Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

GRS wrote:

So, the question. If cost isn't an object, what new readynas system should I get to provide tivo storage. Maximum storage is a key.

Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200). This is also the fastest of the desktop ReadyNAS units.
GRS wrote:

The other nice quality would be to start with a couple of terabytes, and then slowly increase storage over time, ultimately reaching the maximum technically available. I assume XRAID is the place to go for this.

X-RAID2 actually!
GRS wrote:

I see that there is a 6 bay system available, and have seen a maximum storage of both 12 and 18 gigs. I assume that is essentially the same system, the latter is using the relatively new 3GB drives.

TeraBytes not GB. 3GB is less than the capacity of a DVD. Support for 3TB drives was added in RAIDiator x86 4.2.16.
GRS wrote:

What is the actual theoretical maximum on such a system? I.E, if 32 gig drives become available, is the storage 6*32G?

TB not GB. Currently, consider the theoretical maximum capacity of an EXT4 volume which is huge. Firmware updates may be needed to support higher capacity drives as they become available. Stick to drives on the Hard Disk HCL
GRS wrote:

Lastly, I assume XRaid would provide similar storage utilization to raid 5? Something on the order of 60%? (And also allow me to cut over to larger sizes as they are available)

X-RAID2 is like RAID-5. There is a dual-redundancy (like RAID-6) option on 6-bay systems which I use. There are a few expansion limitations at the moment. Cannot expand past 16TB (volume capacity), have to factory default with that capacity in place. Also there's an 8TB limit to online expansion. e.g. if you start with a 2TB volume, expansion will work up to a 10TB one.
GRS wrote:

What do you think I should do

Get the Pro 6.
Message 2 of 9
maxblack
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Get the Pro 6.

Following which you should also get the VideoReDo editing program for your PC, for excising commercial ads, and then burn each show/movie to Blu-ray disc.
Message 3 of 9
GRS1
Tutor

Yeah, of course TB. Sometimes the fingers don't follow the brain.

So, is it accurate to say that the Pro 6 does everything the Ultra 6 Plus does, plus more, and as an added bonus does it faster?
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

GRS wrote:

So, is it accurate to say that the Pro 6 does everything the Ultra 6 Plus does, plus more, and as an added bonus does it faster?

Yes.
Message 5 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

And the Pro series has a 5 year warranty vs the 3 year on the Ultra series.
Message 6 of 9
GRS1
Tutor

mdgm wrote:

X-RAID2 is like RAID-5. There is a dual-redundancy (like RAID-6) option on 6-bay systems which I use. There are a few expansion limitations at the moment. Cannot expand past 16TB (volume capacity), have to factory default with that capacity in place. Also there's an 8TB limit to online expansion. e.g. if you start with a 2TB volume, expansion will work up to a 10TB one.

Mostly got it, but...

"Factory Default with that capacity in place." Does this essentially mean that you have to install >16TB of disk, and the press the magic button for 10 seconds (or equivalent) to reset the device to factory defaults, and then start from scratch on the new big array? Or does this mean that you have to do this, and then build a partition larger than 16TB. (I.E, would building 14TB and 4TB (assuming 3*6) partitions leave you in the same original situation where you would need to "factory default" if you wanted to build a partition>16TB?)

If it has to do with partition sizes as opposed to installed disk size, does the >16TB requirement relate to allocated partition size or formatted file system size on a given partition?

With this limitation, I'm considering just jumping to 6*3TB to avoid the problem, but I don't want to cause difficulties later because I choose to create, for example, 2 8GB partitions as opposed to a single 16.

Lastly, does the jump past 16TB alleviate the "can only increase by a total of 8TB" problem?

Many thanks for your patience.
Message 7 of 9
GRS1
Tutor

Any help on the specifics of the "factory reset" and partition size versus NAS size?
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 16TB is the volume capacity after overheads. So with 6x3TB drives you wouldn't hit that limit. With 6x4TB drives in dual-redundancy you wouldn't hit that limit. You can't expand volumes greater than 16TB so the 8TB online expansion limitation is irrelevant when considering volumes > 16TB in capacity.

To overcome an expansion limitation, you would backup your data, verify backup is good and do a factory default (either via System > Update > Factory Default in Frontview or via the boot menu: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu)
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements