× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bit-rot detected Error

ricjohns
Aspirant

Bit-rot detected Error

Im limited in rnas experience & im getting this regular error for some time on one of my older nas's running OS6.6.1 is there a fix? bitrot is not enabled have tried returning to OS4 with same result. tried replacing HDD's reinstall os6 defrag, scrub etc... Nas seems to run fine.
Regular ERROR:
Volume: Bit rot has detected an error within //var/log/frontview/status.log and cannot correct the error.

ricjohns

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ricjohns
Aspirant

Re: Bit-rot detected Error

Ok, still running on the new beta firmware you suggested, I removed the 2x 2TB compatable nas hdd's from ultra2 replaced them with one brand new 2TB hdd, formated, setup nas then I rsync'd a share (98gb) from one of the Rn31200 to the ultra 2, Bingo!! no errors!! restarted a few times, rebooted a few times, still no BitRot errors, rsync another full share (450Gb) over hopefully when that finishes I get no errors it will be solved.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's very odd.

Which services are you running?

Do you have any apps installed?

Message 2 of 12
ricjohns
Aspirant

Nothing on the nas except some mp4s & mkv files backed up from my main nas & 1 app "Plex" but it's allways toggled Off (not used)

services: SMB, Rsync, UPnP, HTTP, HTTPS, ReadyDLNA
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Very odd. Do you still see this on ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T158 (Beta 1)?

Message 4 of 12
ricjohns
Aspirant

Havn't updated to that firmware as yet, still on 6.6.1 but it should be ok its an ultra 2.

Message 5 of 12
ricjohns
Aspirant

this is the last few logs since I did the update:

Thu Feb 23 2017 14:28:47

Volume: Bit rot has detected an error within //var/log/frontview/status.log and cannot correct the error.

Thu Feb 23 2017 14:28:46

System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

Thu Feb 23 2017 14:27:37

System: The system is rebooting.

Thu Feb 23 2017 14:26:53

Thu Feb 23 2017 14:26:51

System: Firmware was upgraded to 6.7.0-T158.

Message 6 of 12

The 6.6.1 FW is really painfull!

Message 7 of 12
ricjohns
Aspirant

6.6.1 working perfect on 2x RN31200 Readynas & 1 other Rnas ultra 2, the Error doesn't seem to be a problem but it is an error everytime i reboot etc.. so i'd lke to sort it after 6mths of trying.

Message 8 of 12
ricjohns
Aspirant

Updated still same problem occurring.
Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 10 of 12
ricjohns
Aspirant

Logs sent

Message 11 of 12
ricjohns
Aspirant

Ok, still running on the new beta firmware you suggested, I removed the 2x 2TB compatable nas hdd's from ultra2 replaced them with one brand new 2TB hdd, formated, setup nas then I rsync'd a share (98gb) from one of the Rn31200 to the ultra 2, Bingo!! no errors!! restarted a few times, rebooted a few times, still no BitRot errors, rsync another full share (450Gb) over hopefully when that finishes I get no errors it will be solved.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements