× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Block ReadyGear NAS From Accessing WAN

kaptainkahuna
Aspirant

Block ReadyGear NAS From Accessing WAN

Hello,

I am new to ReadyNAS and the home NAS market in general. What I would like to do is ensure the ReadyNAS has no WAN access. I want to be able to access it from the devices in the home, but I don't want devices outside of the home to be able to access it. I do not intend to use it as a "personal cloud" (I have disabled ReadyCLOUD), and I do not intend to access it except from my home network. I have disabled all services except SMB. 

My router does not have port forwarding enabled. Is there anything in the ReadyNAS interface that I need to do in order to block WAN connections? I am looking for some "dummy-level" guidance. 

Also, can anyone else confirm that the default guest account is enabled and cannot be disabled? I have set up my share so only a specific user has access to share data (and not the guest account), so I think that's the best I can do...can anyone else confirm? 

Thanks everyone!

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Block ReadyGear NAS From Accessing WAN

Blocking WAN access to anything on your LAN is the responsibility of your router, not the individual devices.  As long as you have not set up port forwarding or any kind of VPN (which would still need to be hacked into unless you were careless setting it up), the firewall built into your router should do the job for you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
bedlam1
Prodigy

Not sure about your WAN query but I think you can deny Guest access by going to your Shares permissions and clicking gearwheel and clicking Network Access then uncheck "Allow anonymous access"

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Blocking WAN access to anything on your LAN is the responsibility of your router, not the individual devices.  As long as you have not set up port forwarding or any kind of VPN (which would still need to be hacked into unless you were careless setting it up), the firewall built into your router should do the job for you.

Message 3 of 4
kaptainkahuna
Aspirant

Great. Thank you both for the info!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements