× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Boo-Yah! 8GB (2x4GB) works in pro.

gpwolfe
Aspirant

Boo-Yah! 8GB (2x4GB) works in pro.

Greetings,

I just wanted to say that the pro (rndp6000) works w/4GB DIMMs.

Specifically, at least, these:
DDR2 8GB (2x4GB) PC6400 800MHz PATRIOT PSD28G800K

Frontview shows:
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.15
Memory: 8064 MB [6-6-6-18 DDR2]

I booted the thing just to see if it'd recognize any of it and grab some logs. Now it's running the memory test. I'll let that go overnight.

I was reticent to try it as no one else on here seemed to think it would work. I looked up the stats on the Q963 controller and ran a few information gathering tools like:

dmidecode
    hwinfo
    decode-dimms (After building and inserting the eeprom module)
    lshw

And after seeing this:

Memory Controller Information
Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
Error Correcting Capabilities:
None
Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB
Maximum Total Memory Size: 16384 MB
Supported Speeds:
Other
Supported Memory Types:
DIMM
SDRAM
Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
Associated Memory Slots: 4
0x0009
0x000A
0x000B
0x000C
Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
None

I figured since it claims to support 4GB modules it was worth a shot.

Here's the 'meat' from decode-dimms with the new memory installed.

Decoding EEPROM: /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/eeprom/0-0050
Guessing DIMM is in bank 1

---=== SPD EEPROM Information ===---
EEPROM Checksum of bytes 0-62 OK (0x34)
# of bytes written to SDRAM EEPROM 128
Total number of bytes in EEPROM 256
Fundamental Memory type DDR2 SDRAM
SPD Revision 1.2

---=== Memory Characteristics ===---
Maximum module speed 1600MHz (PC12800)
Size 4096 MB
tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS 6-6-6-18
Supported CAS Latencies 6, 5, 4
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 6) 2.5 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 6) 0.4 ns
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 5) 3 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 5) 0.45 ns
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 4) 3.75 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 4) 0.5 ns

---=== Manufacturing Information ===---
Manufacturer Patriot Memory
Manufacturing Location Code 0x02
Part Number PSD24G8002
Manufacturing Date 2010-W38
Assembly Serial Number 0xB2151B28

Decoding EEPROM: /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/eeprom/0-0052
Guessing DIMM is in bank 3

---=== SPD EEPROM Information ===---
EEPROM Checksum of bytes 0-62 OK (0x34)
# of bytes written to SDRAM EEPROM 128
Total number of bytes in EEPROM 256
Fundamental Memory type DDR2 SDRAM
SPD Revision 1.2

---=== Memory Characteristics ===---
Maximum module speed 1600MHz (PC12800)
Size 4096 MB
tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS 6-6-6-18
Supported CAS Latencies 6, 5, 4
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 6) 2.5 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 6) 0.4 ns
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 5) 3 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 5) 0.45 ns
Minimum Cycle Time (CAS 4) 3.75 ns
Maximum Access Time (CAS 4) 0.5 ns

---=== Manufacturing Information ===---
Manufacturer Patriot Memory
Manufacturing Location Code 0x02
Part Number PSD24G8002
Manufacturing Date 2010-W38
Assembly Serial Number 0xC9131B28

Here's
hwinfo --memory
output:

01: None 00.0: 10102 Main Memory
[Created at memory.61]
Unique ID: rdCR.CxwsZFjVASF
Hardware Class: memory
Model: "Main Memory"
Memory Range: 0x00000000-0x1f3791fff (rw)
Memory Size: 8 GB
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

Not certain what else anyone might want for added 'warm and fuzziness' to take the plunge.

On another note, the corsair XMS2 twin2x4096-6400c5c did not work for me contrary to many other posts claiming they do. I will qualify that a bit further by stating that I could not get either DIMM to boot in the first socket. The one closest to the cpu. If I put one in the other socket and nothing in the one closest to the cpu it booted fine. If I left the 1GB stock in its shipped socket (closest to the cpu) and put one of the corsair modules in other socket it would boot and show ~3GB - 128MB (shared video ram reservation?).

In any case I robbed some memory out of my son's machine. A pair of supertalent T8UB2GC5 modules also DDR2-800 PC6400. They show up as [4-5-5-15 DDR2] in frontview.

I hope that's helpful.
Thanks,
--Gary
Message 1 of 61
sdouek
Guide

great news

In a week or two try to do a disk scrubbing and a online file maintenance and post back here what happens!

I wonder if there will be any significant gain ?

I also had a problem with not getting the full amount of memory when I used corsair XMS2 twin2x4096-6400c5c. So now I have two 1 gb chips the chip is very hard to track down.
Message 2 of 61
gpwolfe
Aspirant

sdouek wrote:
great news

In a week or two try to do a disk scrubbing and a online file maintenance and post back here what happens!

I wonder if there will be any significant gain ?

I also had a problem with not getting the full amount of memory when I used corsair XMS2 twin2x4096-6400c5c. So now I have two 1 gb chips the chip is very hard to track down.

I'll certainly report back as to what happens.

Wrt the corsair, it's not that I didn't get the full memory out of them, it's that I couldn't boot w/either stick in the first slot. That seems very odd to me...but that's what occurred. And the missing 128MB seems very likely to be a reservation for shared graphics memory, which there might well be a BIOS setting to reduce if one were so inclined. Maybe if I can track down an appropriate header, I'll try it and see.

I also wanted to point out that I checked the memory test a bit ago and it had gone to 4 passes and 75% of the way through the 5th pass. No errors. I power cycled it and put it back into service.

Thanks,
--Gary
Message 3 of 61
sdouek
Guide

The funny part is when I installed one corsiar chip it read the full 2048 mb in either slot; the second I installed the 2nd chip it subtracted 128mb and it didn't matter which slot I used. And I had a RMA of my unit and this also occurred.
Message 4 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

YOu can see the same thing with gpwolfe. 8GB = 8192 MB. So perhaps 128 MB is reserved for something else?
Message 5 of 61
sdouek
Guide

I was wondering what and no one can seem to tell me even tech support or a jedi. I had a previous post with this issue and I believe chirpa had a pro with all the memory being accounted for !
Message 6 of 61
TeknoJnky
Hero

the missing 128m could be a bios and/or video rom 'shadowing'. Obviously there is no video out on the readynas's, but that does not mean there isn't video card/framebuffer hardware there.

btw, glad to hear 8gb works, I'd love to have that in my pro along with some vbox VM's
Message 7 of 61
gpwolfe
Aspirant

TeknoJnky wrote:
the missing 128m could be a bios and/or video rom 'shadowing'. Obviously there is no video out on the readynas's, but that does not mean there isn't video card/framebuffer hardware there.

btw, glad to hear 8gb works, I'd love to have that in my pro along with some vbox VM's

There is true and real video hardware on the board. There's a VGA header and everything. There's just not a DB15 on the back anywhere. That's why I mentioned digging up a cable somewhere.

However, mrwizardno2 has, in fact, connected a head to his via that same header. Go here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=40162&start=0&hilit=ReadyNAS+Pro+RNDP6350+Possible+Flash+Disk+Boot+Failure

I'm fairly confident that the memory is the video reservation. If you look at the dmesg output you can see the BIOS reservations. It's really the only thing that makes sense for such a large BIOS reservation. Most boards that have such a feature also grant the ability to set the amount of memory reserved for this purpose. Therefore it could well be that all one has to do is hook up a head and keyboard and lower it.

Or, if one knows the layout, an easier way may well be to load up the nvram module and 'massage' that data appropriately there.

--Gary
Message 8 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

TeknoJnky wrote:

glad to hear 8gb works, I'd love to have that in my pro along with some vbox VM's

But doesn't the Pro only work with 32-bit VMs as it doesn't have a processor with VT-x support?

Sure using something like Virtual Box is a logical reason for why someone might want 8GB of RAM in a ReadyNAS, but if you can't run 64-bit VMs then you'd need to have multiple 32-bit VMs you want to run.
Message 9 of 61
gpwolfe
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
TeknoJnky wrote:

glad to hear 8gb works, I'd love to have that in my pro along with some vbox VM's

But doesn't the Pro only work with 32-bit VMs as it doesn't have a processor with VT-x support?

Sure using something like Virtual Box is a logical reason for why someone might want 8GB of RAM in a ReadyNAS, but if you can't run 64-bit VMs then you'd need to have multiple 32-bit VMs you want to run.

That's what an E6600 or E6700 Core 2 Duo is for. 🙂 Those are the latest and greatest that will work in the pro that have VT-x support...on top of being less anemic than the E2160 anyway.

--Gary
Message 10 of 61
TeknoJnky
Hero

I have a q6600 I'm likely to upgrade soon, I wonder if that would work.
Message 11 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gpwolfe wrote:

That's what an E6600 or E6700 Core 2 Duo is for. Those are the latest and greatest that will work in the pro that have VT-x support...on top of being less anemic than the E2160 anyway.

--Gary

Yes, but unlike a memory swap, replacing the CPU permanently voids your warranty. If you upgrade the memory and run into problems you can swap the stock memory back in and factory default if necessary and you should be O.K. (apart from loss of data) provided swapping the memory doesn't damage the memory slots and the memory doesn't damage other parts of the chassis.

8GB is a nice upgrade, but it's well and truly overkill for most users.
TeknoJnky wrote:
I have a q6600 I'm likely to upgrade soon, I wonder if that would work.

I don't think so. See the post after http://readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284&p=164636#p164636

If you must upgrade the CPU and thus don't care about voiding your warranty then stick to one of the CPUs that is known to work.

There are two versions of the CPU used in the new Pro 6. One of them supports VT-x. If you get a Pro 6 and it has a CPU supporting VT-x that would be a better option imo. If you can put 8GB RAM in a Pro you should be able to do the same in a Pro 6.
Message 12 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

mdgm wrote:
There are two versions of the CPU used in the new Pro 6. One of them supports VT-x. If you get a Pro 6 and it has a CPU supporting VT-x that would be a better option imo. If you can put 8GB RAM in a Pro you should be able to do the same in a Pro 6.

I can confirm that the E5300 CPU in my Pro-6 beta unit does support VT-x...

processor       : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 2593.861
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 5187.72
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 2593.861
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 5186.72
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Message 13 of 61
sdouek
Guide

gpwolfe wrote:
TeknoJnky wrote:

There is true and real video hardware on the board. There's a VGA header and everything. There's just not a DB15 on the back anywhere. That's why I mentioned digging up a cable somewhere.

However, mrwizardno2 has, in fact, connected a head to his via that same header. Go here: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=40162&start=0&hilit=ReadyNAS+Pro+RNDP6350+Possible+Flash+Disk+Boot+Failure

I'm fairly confident that the memory is the video reservation. If you look at the dmesg output you can see the BIOS reservations. It's really the only thing that makes sense for such a large BIOS reservation. Most boards that have such a feature also grant the ability to set the amount of memory reserved for this purpose. Therefore it could well be that all one has to do is hook up a head and keyboard and lower it.

Or, if one knows the layout, an easier way may well be to load up the nvram module and 'massage' that data appropriately there.

--Gary

But does not explain why it only subtracts the 128 mb when the second memory chip is inserted. Like I said I put in the first it registers 2048mb not 1920mb whem I put in the second chip it register 3968mb and not 4096mb.
If there was something there using 128mb wouldn't it be missing whether or not I used one or two memory slots. It has to do with something because once you go over 2048mb it happens. I currently have 2 1024mb chips in place and it registers the full amount of 2048mb.
Message 14 of 61
gpwolfe
Aspirant

sdouek wrote:
gpwolfe wrote:
TeknoJnky wrote:

However, mrwizardno2 has, in fact, connected a head to his via that same header. Go here: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=40162&start=0&hilit=ReadyNAS+Pro+RNDP6350+Possible+Flash+Disk+Boot+Failure

--Gary

But does not explain why it only subtracts the 128 mb when the second memory chip is inserted. Like I said I put in the first it registers 2048mb not 1920mb whem I put in the second chip it register 3968mb and not 4096mb.
If there was something there using 128mb wouldn't it be missing whether or not I used one or two memory slots. It has to do with something because once you go over 2048mb it happens. I currently have 2 1024mb chips in place and it registers the full amount of 2048mb.

Indeed, that's what I got w/the 2 2GB modules I had before attempting to use the 4GB modules. I did not know it only happened for values > 2GB of RAM. And I am at a loss to explain why that is currently.

--Gary
Message 15 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

Following Gary's lead, I bought (2) 4GB sticks today also and so far so good. They didn't have the PATRIOT PSD28G800K in stock so I opted for (2) PATRIOT PSD24G8002.

I booted up to see what Frontview listed...

It has now successfully run three memory test passes and I will probably let it go on through the night but so far all seems OK also.
Message 16 of 61
sdouek
Guide

So hopefully when you run a file check and disk scrubbing next week everything will be fine. Odd that 2x2 gb chips don't get the full memory but 2x4gb does.

I wonder if a jedi can chime in about this.

EDIT: you don't get the full 8 GB.
Message 17 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sdouek 8GB = 8192MB = 8064MB + 128MB

Remember 1GB = 1024 MB = 2^10 MB
Message 18 of 61
sdouek
Guide

Dam just got excited that it worked - that will teach me to read the whole post and not just glance at it.
Message 19 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

Update: Passed 7 memory test passes when I manually stopped it.
Message 20 of 61
TeknoJnky
Hero

re: the lost 128meg

the reason it does not go missing @ 2gig, is because the shadowing takes place at the upper end of the memory range.

if you recall, 32bit windows allocates the first 2 gig for applications and the 2nd 2gig for system, including video ram, bios, etc.

64 bit relocates the address far into the 64bit memory map, but the video/bios still takes a small chunk of the upper 4g before its logically remapped into 64 bit.
Message 21 of 61
mrwizardno2
Guide

I'll hook a head up to my Pro tonight and see if I can find anything in the BIOS! I never paid any attention to the memory drop, or just never considered it an issue before.
Message 22 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

sdouek wrote:
So hopefully when you run a file check and disk scrubbing next week everything will be fine.

I just ran a file check and disk scrubbing and both passed without error. I only have about 20 GB currently on the NAS though but I checked MD5 checksum with the originals and they matched.
Message 23 of 61
sdouek
Guide

fbmachines: Thank you for the update

TeknoJnky: What can I say your name explains it all

mrwizardno2: Love the fact people here are willing to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty.
Message 24 of 61
TeknoJnky
Hero

a couple years old and while generally windows-centric, but still good info and applies to the PC architecture in general too.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2272
Message 25 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements