× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Boo-Yah! 8GB (2x4GB) works in pro.

TeknoJnky
Hero

Model:	ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition [X-RAID2]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.16-T25
Memory: 8064 MB [6-6-6-18 DDR2]

also working for me.

x2 @ http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Pa ... oduct.html
Message 26 of 61
cyanideg
Aspirant

Can anyone tell me how many pins the RAM module is? I forgot if its the smaller latop RAM 200pin or the desktop 240 pin.
Message 27 of 61
TeknoJnky
Hero

clicking the link right above your post would have told you:

Item#: 13272910
800 MHz DDR2-800/PC2-6400 - Non-ECC - Unbuffered - 240-pin DIMM

pro uses 240 pin desktop ram
nv+ and ultra 4 uses laptop so-dims
Message 28 of 61
dcuellar
Aspirant

TeknoJnky wrote:
Model:	ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition [X-RAID2]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.16-T25

also working for me.

x2 @ http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Pa ... oduct.html

Will this work for Ultra6+?
Message 29 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

Boo-Yah! 8GB (2x4GB) works in pro.

dcuellar wrote:

Will this work for Ultra6+?

It should as the Ultra 6+ is basically a rebadged Pro Pioneer Edition.
Message 30 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

After updating to the final RAIDiator 4.2.16 release, my 8 GB of RAM is fully listed in Frontview as 8192 MB instead of 8064 MB. Maybe they released the reserve. I'd be interested to see if anyone else using 4 GB of RAM gets the full amount in Frontview now too.
Message 31 of 61
sdouek
Guide

I see fbmachins post is for the new pro series -200, I do not think it will work on the old pro series the -100. If any one can confirm that it works on the old pro -100 series that would be much appreciated.

fbachines have you notice any improvement and if so how much ?
Message 32 of 61
sdouek
Guide

And another question what is the exact model number of memory you are using ?
Message 33 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

sdouek wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=276089#p276089

I've been using it since December. And mainly using it for VirtualBox. The only change with 4.2.16 is that it added back the missing 128 MB RAM in Frontview.
Message 34 of 61
sdouek
Guide

fbmachines wrote:
sdouek wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=276089#p276089

I've been using it since December. And mainly using it for VirtualBox. The only change with 4.2.16 is that it added back the missing 128 MB RAM in Frontview.

That will teach me to read.
Message 35 of 61
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

fbmachines wrote:
After updating to the final RAIDiator 4.2.16 release, my 8 GB of RAM is fully listed in Frontview as 8192 MB instead of 8064 MB. Maybe they released the reserve. I'd be interested to see if anyone else using 4 GB of RAM gets the full amount in Frontview now too.

Has anyone tried a memory test in 4.2.16? I just installed 8GB (2x4GB), the same model listed in this thread, into a PRO6 and the memory test gets stuck at exactly 100% pass 1 (just before it rolls onto pass 2). The time continues to count up but the progress stays on 100%, Pass 1, Err 0.
Message 36 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

MikeMcr wrote:
fbmachines wrote:

Has anyone tried a memory test in 4.2.16? I just installed 8GB (2x4GB), the same model listed in this thread, into a PRO6 and the memory test gets stuck at exactly 100% pass 1 (just before it rolls onto pass 2). The time continues to count up but the progress stays on 100%, Pass 1, Err 0.

That's what I thought too but just let it continue. It is a lot of RAM and it takes awhile. I think I let mine sit for a hour or two before it finally moved on to pass 2. After that it seemed to not take so long between passes. Letting it run overnight was the best method for me because I was constantly checking it and it seemed to take sooo longgg!
Message 37 of 61
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

fbmachines wrote:
That's what I thought too but just let it go. It is a lot of RAM and it takes awhile. I think I let mine sit for a couple of hours before it finally moved on to pass 2. After that it seemed to not take so long between passes.

Thanks for confirming that. I only wanted to do 2 passes so was really frustrated to see it stuck right at the end! Now I've rebooted and started again 😞
Message 38 of 61
gigiba
Aspirant

When you upgrade to 8GB, what performance do you get?

I want to upgrade, but I don't know if I should. I would like to install more addon and specially, I am doing a lot of video streaming like plex.. etc. Please help me if I should pull the trigger since we know what memory works.

I have the Pro 6.

Thanks
Message 39 of 61
ianmacd
Aspirant

gpwolfe wrote:
I just wanted to say that the pro (rndp6000) works w/4GB DIMMs.

Specifically, at least, these:
DDR2 8GB (2x4GB) PC6400 800MHz PATRIOT PSD28G800K

Frontview shows:
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.15

The time has come for me to purchase my third ReadyNAS and, naturally, more is better, so I'm looking at the RNDP6630-200EUS, the 18 Tb Pro 6.

It's so easy to come unstuck with memory -- so many types, such similar model numbers -- so I want to be very careful before I place the order.

The shop I usually buy from can get hold of the Patriot PSD28G800SK, which seems to be almost identical to what you installed. The only difference is that the 800S is CL5, whereas the 800 is CL6.

I've installed CL5 memory in a Pro Business Edition before, but I gather the Pro 2/4/6 has a new chassis.

Anyway, is there any reason to expect that the CL5 DIMMs wouldn't work here? Even if they should work, is there any reason to prefer CL6 memory over CL5 in this case?

Cheers,

Ian
Message 40 of 61
ianmacd
Aspirant

Oops. I've just noticed that that memory is 200 pin, not 240 pin.

ianmacd wrote:
gpwolfe wrote:
I just wanted to say that the pro (rndp6000) works w/4GB DIMMs.

Specifically, at least, these:
DDR2 8GB (2x4GB) PC6400 800MHz PATRIOT PSD28G800K

Frontview shows:
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.15

The time has come for me to purchase my third ReadyNAS and, naturally, more is better, so I'm looking at the RNDP6630-200EUS, the 18 Tb Pro 6.

It's so easy to come unstuck with memory -- so many types, such similar model numbers -- so I want to be very careful before I place the order.

The shop I usually buy from can get hold of the Patriot PSD28G800SK, which seems to be almost identical to what you installed. The only difference is that the 800S is CL5, whereas the 800 is CL6.

I've installed CL5 memory in a Pro Business Edition before, but I gather the Pro 2/4/6 has a new chassis.

Anyway, is there any reason to expect that the CL5 DIMMs wouldn't work here? Even if they should work, is there any reason to prefer CL6 memory over CL5 in this case?

Cheers,

Ian
Message 41 of 61
ianmacd
Aspirant

ianmacd wrote:

The new 18 Tb Pro 6 arrived during the week, as did my Patriot PSD28G800K memory, which I had to purchase from a shop in Ireland, because I couldn't find that model in the Netherlands.

My new beast is up and running after 7 successful passes through the memory check.

My only complaint with this unit so far (if you can even call it that) is that the Seagate ST33000650NS drives that came with it are unbelievably noisy. The unit is in the cupboard under the stairs, so it doesn't matter in my case, but you really wouldn't want this box anywhere near you while you're working.
Message 42 of 61
spiderman1
Guide

As I will be purchasing a new diskless Readynas Pro 6 shortly, can those who have posted on this thread confirm that the following ram will
work on this unit:

Patriot Signature 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PSD24G8002

Thanks guys.

😄
Message 43 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

spiderman wrote:
As I will be purchasing a new diskless Readynas Pro 6 shortly, can those who have posted on this thread confirm that the following ram will
work on this unit:

Patriot Signature 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PSD24G8002

That's the model that I use and it has been running great. I haven't tried running just one stick though. Is that what you plan to do?

If so, I can remove 1 stick and give it a whirl.
Message 44 of 61
spiderman1
Guide

the model that I use and it has been running great. I haven't tried running just one stick though. Is that what you plan to do?

No, I want to install the full 8 gb.

I'll let everyone know on the thread how it works once I get the unit and set it up.

Thanks for replying.

😄
Message 45 of 61
fbmachines
Guide

Nice! Look forward to your followup.

You'll like the Pro-6. You plan to use your older Pro as a backup?
Message 46 of 61
spiderman1
Guide

You'll like the Pro-6. You plan to use your older Pro as a backup?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:22 pm

I would like to run ESXi datastores and the Java VM Virtual Box on the PRO 6 and use my PRO as a multi-media file server.
Message 47 of 61
jmirabil
Aspirant

fbmachines wrote:
spiderman wrote:
work on this unit:

That's the model that I use and it has been running great. I haven't tried running just one stick though. Is that what you plan to do?

If so, I can remove 1 stick and give it a whirl.

SUCESS REPORT:
I can report on my Pro Business Readynas I just completed a 4-->8Gb Readynas changeover in RAM, and I noticed my NAS with WD30EZRS drives is a bit snappier with 8Gb than 4Gb. I used two of the PSD24G8002 Patriot memory sticks like above... I had two 2Gb Adata blue memory modules in there with aluminum shields from Egghead before, I might try those memory sticks in my buddy's Readynas Ultra 6 w/ low power Atom dualcore processor.

I too would like to try running ESXi datastores and the Java VM Virtual Box on my Readynas pro business and use my PRO as a multi-media file server, probably a Conroe 2.4Ghz dualcore upgrade (E6600) from the E2160 might help also, but dont want to violate my warranty... Any advice for virtualbox or ESXi? I'd love to know here or via a PM. Thanks!
Message 48 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro Business (RNDP6000-100) has a CPU that doesn't have VT-x so you can't run 64-bit VMs using VirtualBox. You can use it as an ESXi datastore for 64-bit VMs though.

3rd party memory upgrades are not supported, neither is installing stuff like VirtualBox.

CPU upgrades do void the warranty and not all work (can be incompatible or cause overheating etc.). If you want to try a CPU upgrade search for CPU upgrades that others have done). Instead of doing a CPU upgrade it would be much better to sell a Pro Business (RNDP6000-100) and get a Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200).
Message 49 of 61
jmirabil
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The Pro Business (RNDP6000-100) has a CPU that doesn't have VT-x so you can't run 64-bit VMs using VirtualBox. You can use it as an ESXi datastore for 64-bit VMs though.

3rd party memory upgrades are not supported, neither is installing stuff like VirtualBox.

CPU upgrades do void the warranty and not all work (can be incompatible or cause overheating etc.). If you want to try a CPU upgrade search for CPU upgrades that others have done). Instead of doing a CPU upgrade it would be much better to sell a Pro Business (RNDP6000-100) and get a Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200).

I see, you're referring to the E2160 native CPU - well I guess I'll have to decide whether I want to void my warranty to get the VT-x available with the Conroe 2.4G dualcore E6600 CPU...
decisions decisions... I've read else where in the forums that memory upgrades will not violate warranty if they pass tests and are done responsibly and properly. I kept my original 1Gb of RAM so that will always be available if I need to downgrade memory (thats easy, just take out 2 screws and click in and out memory modules with an antistatic wrist-strap in place) but I'm not going to tinker with a CPU and the RDNP6000-200 is a better idea for that indeed. I bet someone has gone with an E6600 (and said forget the warranty...) and made this Virtualbox and ESXi VM datastore both work though...

FYI:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27250/Int ... MHz-FSB%29
this notes that the E6600 has VT-x... time to decide.. My Pro Business still has 4 more years of warranty...I dont think I want to lose that...

Good suggestion on the Pro 6 -- I tried 2x to order (order then reorder) a Pro 6 refurb from these guys when they CLEARLY showed stock (I screen-captured it 2x) :
http://compu-america.com/index.php/rndp ... -serv.html
but they are disreputable dirtb@gs and they never honor their prices nor availability for me (nor I suspect others too..) and I have a BBB complaint pending with them.
Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements