× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bug in ReadyNas Frontview

deko220
Aspirant

Bug in ReadyNas Frontview

Can this please be corrected in the next release?

Message 1 of 10
Grievous
Aspirant

Re: Bug in ReadyNas Frontview

Point taken, and it's been noted. However I cannot promise when it will be in a release.
Message 2 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

As a workaround until then, you could use the System>Config Backup option. Backup the network settings. Edit the /etc/resolv.conf in the zip file and re-zip it. Upload the zip back in via System>Config Backup>Restore to overwrite that file. Then your new DNS settings will be on the system, bypassing the javascript check that doesn't currently work right.
Message 3 of 10
deko220
Aspirant

That's a great suggestion, chirpa. But I'm using Active Directory-Integrated DNS and want to control access to shares with AD (Security > Security Mode). I didn't see ldap.conf in the backup file (is it 'group' instead?). Re-IPing my DC would be a major PIA but hacking hacking ReadyNas config files is not something I'm crazy about doing either. But I don't have the feature set I need without finding a way around what appears to be an oversight in an over-zealous form validation effort.
Message 4 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

LDAP is not used.

Until the IP validation can be fixed with a new release, the Config Backup method is okay to use. I can create a restore zip file for you, that only contains the new DNS nameserver settings if you like.

Once the DNS is updated for your network structure, using the Security>Security Mode page to join to the DC should go smooth.
Message 5 of 10
deko220
Aspirant

I'll give it a shot an post back with results.
Message 6 of 10
deko220
Aspirant

# This file is auto-generated.  Do not modify!

nameserver 10.0.10.0

this is what I restored... rebooted... didn't stick
Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you rezip up the "etc" folder in the config backup or did you zip up the _READYNAS_CONFIG folder. If you zipped up the _READYNAS_CONFIG folder your file would have been restored to /READYNAS_CONFIG/etc/resolv.conf which is the wrong location.
Message 8 of 10
deko220
Aspirant

I tried it again (after double checking directory structure of the .zip) and successfully got the IP of my DNS server configured in Network > Global Settings.

But that did NOT allow me to configure my DC in Security > Security Mode

Is there another file I need to modify and restore?
Message 9 of 10
Grievous
Aspirant

Wait, why are you entering the IP address of the DC on the security mode page? If you configured the DNS server already as Chirpa suggested, then you don't need to enter the IP again when joining the domain. That field is only there for what could be considered "misconfigured" DNS, a situation where for some reason the domain you're trying to join doesn't have a DNS entry on a DNS server you have configured on the network page.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements