× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I place RNDP4000 horizontally?

Bob245
Guide

Can I place RNDP4000 horizontally?

Hi everyone,
I have a readynas pro 4 (RNDP4000). I populated it with 4 WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (3TB) drives.
Now I would like to put it in a rack in a horizontal position (ie from the normal position I rotate it 90 degrees to the right).
In this mode the 4 disks are positioned one above the other.... I would like to know what you think. It can be done?

Bob

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Can I place RNDP4000 horizontally?

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

I have a readynas pro 4 (RNDP4000). I populated it with 4 WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (3TB) drives.
Now I would like to put it in a rack in a horizontal position (ie from the normal position I rotate it 90 degrees to the right).

The disk orientation doesn't matter, but you shouldn't block the airvents on the sides of the chassis. 

Message 2 of 4
Bob245
Guide

I was worried because probably the disks in vertical position allow a better flow of air.

If, on the other hand, they are horizontally, the discs are on top of each other and the heat going upwards warms the disks above and the air struggles more to disperse.

But there is a fan that forces the air flow so I think there will be no problems.

The important thing as you say is that the NAS can have unobstructed air in the rack.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Bob245 , the discussion here might be interesting for you, too. Kind regards

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Operate-RN428-on-its-side/m-p/1678648#M3...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements