× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I upgrade CPU and memory for ReadyNAS 4312X and 528x

taiya
Aspirant

Can I upgrade CPU and memory for ReadyNAS 4312X and 528x

Hi, 

I would like to know if I can upgrade the CPU and memory on the ReadyNAS 4312X and 528x ..  I know the older version of 516 allows this flexibility.  And the new 420 series can only upgrade the memory, not the CPU.  I cannot find any info for thoe 2 models I mentioned above..

Pleaes share your experience ..

Thanks

Model: RR4312X| ReadyNAS 10GbE 12 Bays with up to 120TB total storage
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @taiya

Welcome to the Community!

ReadyNAS 4312X and 528X memory can be upgraded.

The 528X has 4 memory slots (Max: 64GB) and supports up to DDR4-1866. Community members might be able to provide you what to look for.

ReadyNAS 4312X can be expanded to 64GB as well using RMEM04-10000S or a U-DIMM with similar spec.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 7
taiya
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V,

Thanks for response.  it is good to hear that there are extra slot for memeory, and it can be upgrade later.

What about the CPU?  It is solder in? or it can be upgrade?  

I read that the older 516x's CPU can be upgraded, but may not be the 528x.

If so, what about the ReadyNAS 4312X's CPU ?  I cannot find any information about it...

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @taiya

The ReadyNAS 4312X's CPU is Xeon E3-1245v5 not really sure if there's any upgrade available but it might just be possible.

RN526X's CPU is not soldered since it's an x86 Intel® D-1508, this one you might be able to upgrade with the right spec.

@StephenB is right, doing upgrades outside of NETGEAR's Support will Void the warranty

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

RN526X's CPU is not be soldered since it's an x86 Intel® D-1508, this one you might be able to upgrade with the right spec.

We should point out that upgrading the CPU or even RAM in a desktop NAS will void the hardware warranty.  

I don't know the policy on RAM upgrades for the rackmount products.

Message 5 of 7
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Well, I was one who upgraded my 516.  I basically turned it into a 716.   I used the CPU the 716 was using.  Added more Memory.  I got my NAS used so I had no warranty to worry about anyway.

It was a pretty simple thing to do.  But you have to remember, these things are locked up pretty tight in general.  You can't access to BIOS/Firmware.   It's not going to work for just anything.    It's already a pretty good processor in that unit.   Should be able to handle PLEX just fine.    Even 4K transcoding up to a point if need be.   Supposedly it has a Quad-core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E3-1245v5 Enterprise server processor.  With Xeon, you have EEC memory.   Looks like a nice unit.  I wouldn't mind having one myself.   I don't see any need to upgrade even if you could.  Adding more Memory, sure.  Useful for VMWare.    

If you want something much more flexible you really have to build it yourself which is doable.  There's a number of OS's you can use designed for this type of application.   If you have a warranty,  I wouldn't touch it other than RAM upgrade.  After that?  If Netgear makes a version of what you have that has a faster processor, then Swapping for that faster processor might be possible.  So I did since Netgear released a 516 and a faster 716.  The hardware is pretty much the same.  Making the CPU swap for the CPU used in the 716 and putting it into the 516 possible.

The other option is making whatever super fast Computer you want.  One that will even mount in a rack.  Having that access the NAS you have.  Does it matter if it's an external source then built in?  You have Duel 10 Gigabit ports right. Add 10 Gigabit to the external faster PC linked together that way.    I don't know what your needs are or what you're trying to do.   There's options out there.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

The other option is making whatever super fast Computer you want.  One that will even mount in a rack.  Having that access the NAS you have.  Does it matter if it's an external source then built in?  You have Duel 10 Gigabit ports right. Add 10 Gigabit to the external faster PC linked together that way.    I don't know what your needs are or what you're trying to do.   There's options out there.

Personally I favor this option (though my own application server isn't "super fast").  You can add a 10 gigabit card to a desktop PC for about $100.  If you like, you can connect 10 Gigabit to your main network through a small multigig switch for about $200 more (for instance, a GS110MX or SX10).

The main downside of using a separate application server is that it is more expensive.

But separating storage from hosting applications allows you to upgrade both platforms independently.  You can take full advantage of GPU acceleration. You aren't limited to linux applications.  You don't void the NAS warranty.  And putting a lot of apps on the NAS does create risk, especially when upgrading firmware.  Having a separate application server is (IMO) more robust.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements