Reply

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)

kamanwu
Aspirant

Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)

Basing on this: https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

4T is the max size.

 

But I have updated the OS to OS6 (6.9.4).  Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T ?

 

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)


@kamanwu wrote:

Basing on this: https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

4T is the max size.

 


The HCL for the legacy NAS hasn't been updated in several years - back in the days when 4 TB was the biggest drive on the market.

 


@kamanwu wrote:

 

But I have updated the OS to OS6 (6.9.4).  Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T ?

 


Yes.  And you could even go larger - it can handle any enterprise or nas-purposed CMR sata disk on the market.  I have two WD80EFAX in my own Pro-6 (along with four 3 TB drives).

 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)


@kamanwu wrote:

Basing on this: https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

4T is the max size.

 


The HCL for the legacy NAS hasn't been updated in several years - back in the days when 4 TB was the biggest drive on the market.

 


@kamanwu wrote:

 

But I have updated the OS to OS6 (6.9.4).  Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T ?

 


Yes.  And you could even go larger - it can handle any enterprise or nas-purposed CMR sata disk on the market.  I have two WD80EFAX in my own Pro-6 (along with four 3 TB drives).

 

Message 2 of 9
kamanwu
Aspirant

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)

Thanks for the reply.

 

For now, I have 3 disks (all 3T).  I know I could add another 3T disk to get extra space. But I think it's kind of waste to buy a new 3T disk these days.

 

I plan to buy 2 new 8T disks to replace my  THREE 3T disks.   Laster I could get more space by adding extra 8T disks.

 

Do you know what's the easiest way to do this without copy all data out?  

Message 3 of 9
kamanwu
Aspirant

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)

Forget to mention, my 3 old 3T disks are SMR, NOT CMR.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)


@kamanwu wrote:

 

I plan to buy 2 new 8T disks to replace my  THREE 3T disks.   Later I could get more space by adding extra 8T disks.

 

Do you know what's the easiest way to do this without copy all data out?  


The only easy way is to upgrade two of the disks to 8 TB, and leave the third disk in place.  2x8+3TB would give you an 11 TB (~10 TiB) volume.

 

After you've done that, it is possible to shrink the volume and drop the 3 TB disk with SSH.  But it is not that simple, and the folks here who've played with it strongly recommend backing up all the data first.  @Sandshark can give you more details if you want them.

Message 5 of 9
kamanwu
Aspirant

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)


@StephenB wrote:

@kamanwu wrote:

 

I plan to buy 2 new 8T disks to replace my  THREE 3T disks.   Later I could get more space by adding extra 8T disks.

 

Do you know what's the easiest way to do this without copy all data out?  


The only easy way is to upgrade two of the disks to 8 TB, and leave the third disk in place.  2x8+3TB would give you an 11 TB (~10 TiB) volume.

 

 


How can I do this?  For now, 3 3TB disks give me  6TB space in total.   If I pop up 1 3TB disk and put 1 8TB disk in, I will still have 6TB right?  And if I pop up the 2nd 3TB disk out and put another 8 TB disk in, I will still have 6T right?

 

How to get 11TB  (2*8 + 3 TB)?

 

Message 6 of 9
kamanwu
Aspirant

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)


@kamanwu wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@kamanwu wrote:

 

I plan to buy 2 new 8T disks to replace my  THREE 3T disks.   Later I could get more space by adding extra 8T disks.

 

Do you know what's the easiest way to do this without copy all data out?  


The only easy way is to upgrade two of the disks to 8 TB, and leave the third disk in place.  2x8+3TB would give you an 11 TB (~10 TiB) volume.

 

 


How can I do this?  For now, 3 3TB disks give me  6TB space in total.   If I pop up 1 3TB disk and put 1 8TB disk in, I will still have 6TB right?  And if I pop up the 2nd 3TB disk out and put another 8 TB disk in, I will still have 6T right?

 

How to get 11TB  (2*8 + 3 TB)?

 


If I buy 3 8TB disks, and replace 3 old 3TB disks one by one.  After all done, I will have 6TB (same as before), and need do something to expand space to 16TB?  or  I will automatically have 16 TB space?

 

 

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)


@kamanwu wrote:

 

How can I do this?  For now, 3 3TB disks give me  6TB space in total.   If I pop up 1 3TB disk and put 1 8TB disk in, I will still have 6TB right? 


Yes, because the 8TB has nothing to pair the additional 5TB with for RAID

 


And if I pop up the 2nd 3TB disk out and put another 8 TB disk in, I will still have 6T right?

No, now the extra 5TB on both 8TB drives will create a RAID1 layer of 5TB and the 3TB drive and remaining 3TB of each 8TB drive will still retain the original RAID5 configuration of 6TB.  So, you now have 11TB.  Note that that is all invisible to you.  BTRFS will span the layers and there will only be the one volume, just bigger.  If you later replace the remaining 3TB with another 8TB, the extra 5TB on it will combine with the other 5TB segments to create a 10TB RAID5, so you grow another 5TB.  This is the "magic" of XRAID, allowing far easier expansion that many other RAID systems.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I use WD Red Plus 6T/8T on my old NAS (Pro 4) which has been updated to OS6 (6.9.4)


@kamanwu wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@kamanwu wrote:

 

I plan to buy 2 new 8T disks to replace my  THREE 3T disks.   Later I could get more space by adding extra 8T disks.

 

Do you know what's the easiest way to do this without copy all data out?  


The only easy way is to upgrade two of the disks to 8 TB, and leave the third disk in place.  2x8+3TB would give you an 11 TB (~10 TiB) volume.

 

 


How can I do this?  For now, 3 3TB disks give me  6TB space in total.   If I pop up 1 3TB disk and put 1 8TB disk in, I will still have 6TB right?  And if I pop up the 2nd 3TB disk out and put another 8 TB disk in, I will still have 6T right?

 

How to get 11TB  (2*8 + 3 TB)?

 


The capacity rule is sum the disks and subtract the largest.

 

3x3TB -> 6 TB

1x8TB + 2x3TB -> 6TB. The volume will resync but no change in capacity.

2x8TB + 1x3TB-> 11 TB The volume resyncs, then resyncs again (expanding).

3x8TB -> 16 TB.  The volume resyncs, then resyncs again (exanding again).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 916 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements