× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can ReadyNAS 316 go to sleep mode automatically?

whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can ReadyNAS 316 go to sleep mode automatically?

Yes in the look to upgrade my readynas ultra 4, and was first thinking of switching to asustor since thay state that in standby it only uses 1.45w, my current according to netgear with harddrive spin down use 22w, really want to save some money on the electrical bill here.

But for the price of a dual cure 4 bay asustor I can get the NETGEAR ReadyNAS 316 (actually just a little cheaper), have been happy with netgear, stable and no real issues, and so really thinking of getting the 316 with 6 drives and 2gb ram, plus the os 6.

But will it go to sleep, and use very little power when not used some time, will the fan always run, and does the harddrive spin down (saw somewhere early release that this was not an option yet)?
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can ReadyNAS 316 go to sleep mode automatically?

The RN316 doesn't have drive spindown yet. It does support a power schedule, so you can have the device shut itself down/start itself up on schedule.

Is this the asustor you were considering? http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... l=&start=1

If so, smallnetbuilder measured the power consumption with drives spun down at 26W, not 1.45. Though "standby" might be a different mode.
Message 2 of 8
whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, any news on when hdd spin down will come to the os 6 (read that it shild come in 6.1 but dos not seem to be the case).

Excactly the one I was thinking about, strange Asustor claims standby 1.45w, maybe it is something you manually have to do?
Message 3 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
smallnetbuilder measured the [Asustor AS-640T] power consumption with drives spun down at 26W, not 1.45. Though "standby" might be a different mode.

The Asustor's 1.45W "standby" mode seems to be the same as the ReadyNAS 316's Wake-On-Lan mode, which draws 0.8W.
Message 4 of 8
whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your probably right about that one, just had an idea that the system went sleeping after not being in use automatically, don't understand why the nas server has to be on always, waste of power.
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

whc wrote:
Your probably right about that one, just had an idea that the system went sleeping after not being in use automatically, don't understand why the nas server has to be on always, waste of power.
Whether that is viable depends on what you use if for, and how difficult it is to restart it. It would be a useful mode to have available though.

It seems likely that (once spindown is implemented) the RN316 will be at least as power-efficient as the asustor, and could be somewhat better. Though I am always nervous about counting on future features to show up - if you are not in a hurry, perhaps you should simply wait and see.
Message 6 of 8
whc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone knows if and when the hdd sleep feature will come to os 6?
Message 7 of 8
xeltros
Apprentice

6.2.0 is under développement, this version should introduce new functionalities, but which features and when I don't know.
6.1.6 won't introduce disk sleep but should be released pretty soon since we already had 6 RC versions.

The only ones who can be more precise are Netgear people.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements