× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can not access RN214 admin page anymore

Jackvd
Apprentice

Can not access RN214 admin page anymore

Hi all,

For a week now I am not able to access my admin page anymore. I am also not able to connect to the nas from my Mac.

I can however get to the data through Readycloud, although performance is very slow. On Readycloud the system status is: healthy.

I did a reboot through the powerbutton and noticed that shutting down and booting up take a very long time.

The RN214 gets an ip address through DHCP and that looks good.

When starting the login, I do get the credentialcheck, but after signing in there is no respons. The welcom screen does pop up but after that nothing happens (see photo).

I did a reinstall of the OS through the Bootmenu with no change.

A memorytest through the Bootmenu turned out to be fine.

I tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers with the same effect.

Also Chrome on a Windows10 Thinkpad gave the same result.

ssh access is not enabled (I think; got a reject on port 22....), so I had no way to check the systemvolume on large files.

Any idea?

Thx

RN214- 4 x 2TB (October 2016)

Firmware: 6.10.3

MacBook pro - Catalina 10.15.6

Chrome: 84.0.4147.89 

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Jackvd
Apprentice

Re: Can not access RN214 admin page anymore

Adition to this case after a good night sleep 🙂

Although I could recover from a config backup and a data volume backup, I would still like a lazy solution 🙂

I tried to boot the system with a read-only option to see if I would be able to access the admin page. No luck..

Then I though about shutting the system down and removed disk1 (that looked the worst in de diagnose)

Booting with one disk removed went quickly and I can now access the admin page again.

Of course the system is now in degraded state and unprotected, but I am fairly confident that I can now add a new disk and the system will rebuild itself.

If all fails, I can still go through a total restore option if needed.

So; I will update this item when I finish but for now I will 'close' this item.

Thanks for your support; that was the trigger to set me of in this direction 🙂

Jack

PS. I will renew disk4 also!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try getting the logs with RAIDar.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 2 of 8
Jackvd
Apprentice

Hi Stephen,

Thx for your quick reply.

I installed RAIDar 6.5.0 on my MacBook and it found the RN214.

I was not able to download the logs. It will start, ask for a file location and then stays at a 0% download progres. After about 10 minutes it will end with an error; "Unable to dowload logs". Tried it a second time and came up with the same error.

I did run a diagnose after that and I put the results in a screenshot.

Don't know if that is bad....... but maybe you can tell me 🙂

Jack

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Jackvd wrote:

I did run a diagnose after that and I put the results in a screenshot.

Don't know if that is bad....... but maybe you can tell me 🙂

Unfortunately disk 1 and disk 4 are both failing.  I suspect the failed disk i/o requests (and attempts to reallocate the sectors) are causing the performance problems.

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 4 of 8
Jackvd
Apprentice

Thought so too....

Disk 2 and 3 were replaced last year and it looks like 1 and 4 are done now too.

There were no diskerrors in the log for the last couple of weeks, but I did create a second TimeMachine instance and that pushed the system from 60% to 70% usage.

That may have worstened the proces.

All 4 disks are the Seagate ST3000 NAS and they seem prone to failure.

I have backups, but it would be nice if I can replace one disk at a time and let the system rebuild.

Or do you think that is not feasable anymore?

Jack

Message 5 of 8
Jackvd
Apprentice

Adition to this case after a good night sleep 🙂

Although I could recover from a config backup and a data volume backup, I would still like a lazy solution 🙂

I tried to boot the system with a read-only option to see if I would be able to access the admin page. No luck..

Then I though about shutting the system down and removed disk1 (that looked the worst in de diagnose)

Booting with one disk removed went quickly and I can now access the admin page again.

Of course the system is now in degraded state and unprotected, but I am fairly confident that I can now add a new disk and the system will rebuild itself.

If all fails, I can still go through a total restore option if needed.

So; I will update this item when I finish but for now I will 'close' this item.

Thanks for your support; that was the trigger to set me of in this direction 🙂

Jack

PS. I will renew disk4 also!

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Jackvd wrote:

If disk 4 generates disk errors during the rebuild, then the volume will be lost.    

One risk is that if this succeeds there could be file system corruption due to bad sectors.  That could result in lost files or files with bad data.  If you have a full backup, then doing a reset with both disks replaced might be a better (though more time consuming) option.

Message 7 of 8
Jackvd
Apprentice

That is a very good point!

I will follow your advice and rebuild the system from scratch after replacing the disks.

Jack

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements