× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can subversion package be made to work on RN51600 with 6.6.x?

Tonkinite
Luminary

Can subversion package be made to work on RN51600 with 6.6.x?

I've installed and uninstalled subversion many times, never seems to do anything. Discussions on the board suggest it can be fixed by using root ssh (which I won't do) and adding the missing WebDAV modules. Who at ReadyNAS support could fix the package officially so it will work for everyone?

Message 1 of 12
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can subversion package be made to work on RN51600 with 6.6.x?

Hi Tonkinite,

Given that this is a 3rd party app, I do not think that someone from NETGEAR can help. You can contact the developer for assistance on your request.

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
Tonkinite
Luminary

Re: Can subversion package be made to work on ReadyOS 6.6.x?

Actually, if the package is broken, Netgear should boot it off the availability list (and apparently should have aeons ago), this could put pressure on the developer.

I will try, but I'm sure others have also (yes?), and nothing has apparently happened in years.  Maybe the developer is inactive, retired, whatever and should transfer responsibility to someone else.

It's been broken since I bought my RN516 in December 2013 (so at least 3 years).

Message 3 of 12
Tonkinite
Luminary

Apache subversion web page specifically indicates it is not responsible for binary builds on any platform, so Netgear listing of the App as Apache seems disengenuous.  The only Debian Linux (on which ReadyOS is based) developer stated as responsible for subversion is WANDisco.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay,RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 4 of 12
Tonkinite
Luminary

I've emailed WANDisco to see if they are responsible for the subversion package. I'll also email Apache on the odd chance they did do a special binary build for ReadyOS. I am going to get to the bottom of this.

At any rate the developer of the subversion source code may be Apache, but don't appear to be responsible for the ReadyOS binary builds. However it turns out, Netgear should change the developer name on the package so customers know who to contact if there are issues.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay,RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 5 of 12
Tonkinite
Luminary

Daniel Shahaf of Apache contacted me and said Apache definitely did NOT do the subversion build for ReadyOS, but he didn't know who.

That leaves WANdisco and Netgear. WANdisco hopefully will contact me today or at least this week.

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Tonkinite wrote:

Daniel Shahaf of Apache contacted me and said Apache definitely did NOT do the subversion build for ReadyOS, but he didn't know who.

That leaves WANdisco and Netgear. WANdisco hopefully will contact me today or at least this week.

The author / packager was  "ReadyNAS Guru" who no longer seems to be registered here.  

Message 7 of 12
Tonkinite
Luminary

If he's not registered any longer then his Apps may never be updated and will eventually break also.

This is not cool.

Can a Netgear employee at least relabel the subversion package as belonging to ReadyNAS Guru, so there's no more confusion?

Since he's a partner of Netgear per the developer license, presumably they have his real contact info, name, phone, email.  Can someone at Netgear reach out? Is he deceased, retired?

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Tonkinite wrote:

Can a Netgear employee at least relabel the subversion package as belonging to ReadyNAS Guru, so there's no more confusion?

It already does say that at apps.readynas.com.  I'm not sure why the available apps page says "apache".

It could well be using the standard apache debian package BTW.

Message 9 of 12
Tonkinite
Luminary

Perhaps it did... over 4 years ago. It's been broken since at least early 2014 and people are fixing it by ssh'ing in as root and patching it.

No one realizes this is an unacceptable situation?

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Tonkinite wrote:

Perhaps it did... over 4 years ago. It's been broken since at least early 2014 and people are fixing it by ssh'ing in as root and patching it.

No one realizes this is an unacceptable situation?

FWIW I don't work for Netgear.  They should probably just remove the app.

Message 11 of 12
Tonkinite
Luminary

I can see that. My rant wasn't directed at you.

The entire ReadyOS App collection has severe bitrot, even the Netgear ones.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements