× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access ReadyNAS, NEED TO RECOVER DATA!

MvnParts
Aspirant

Can't access ReadyNAS, NEED TO RECOVER DATA!

ReadyNAS RND2210 V1 firmware unknown, 

Shares disappeared yesterday, I rebooted the ReadyNAS and got only blue power LED blinking slowly, disk LED steady, and activity LED occasionally flashing. RAIDar can't find NetGear device on my LAN but confirmed it is up by pinging its IP address. Was able to get logged in with FrontView ONCE about an hour later and saw the status was "resyncing" but then FrontView screen froze when I selected "health" button. Page refresh kept prompting me to choose "wait" or "exit" and eventually I chose to exit. 

Now Frontview can't connect at all, get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED message and tried all the firewall and browser fixes recommended without success. 

Blue LED still flashing slowly, but Disk 1 LED is flashing about 3x per second, Disk 2 LED steady, no activity LED but I hear a disk scritch every now and then.

Got lots of data I need to recover! To a new SSD...

Model: ReadyNAS RND2210|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't access ReadyNAS, NEED TO RECOVER DATA!

@MvnParts wrote:

ReadyNAS RND2210 V1 firmware unknown, 

Shares disappeared yesterday, I rebooted the ReadyNAS and got only blue power LED blinking slowly, disk LED steady, and activity LED occasionally flashing. RAIDar can't find NetGear device on my LAN but confirmed it is up by pinging its IP address. Was able to get logged in with FrontView ONCE about an hour later and saw the status was "resyncing" but then FrontView screen froze when I selected "health" button.

Power it down and remove disk 1.

If you are running the default XRAID setup - 

1. Try booting up with only disk 2 in place - if that works, then back up your data immediately.
  2. If step 1 fails, try connecting disk 1 to a Windows PC (either SATA or with a USB Adapter/Dock). R-linux for Windows is a free tool that can read the data volume if it is healthy.  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ 

An alternative to step 2 is to power down the NAS again, and put disk 1 back into slot 1.  Remove disk 2, and see if the NAS boots. 

Message 2 of 8
MvnParts
Aspirant

Will try removing Disk 1 next.

FYI tried removing Disk 1 yesterday. It did not boot up, so I put Disk 1 back in. After powering up the Disk 1 LED flashed slowly (1/sec) for several hours. Then both disk LED went off, while blue light still flashing. This morning after posting I powered off, powered on, and right now Disk 1 LED steady on, Disk 2 LED off. Meaning?

Message 3 of 8
MvnParts
Aspirant

Powered down, removed Disk 1, powered up, blue power LED continues to flash slowly, no access via RAIDar or FrontView, Disk 1 LED blinking, Disk 2 LED on steady. After one hour both disk LED go dark. So now will try put Disk 1 back and remove Disk 2.

I don't know if I can connect Disk 1 to PC, it is a Lenovo built in 2010, it is my only PC at the moment and I will have to shut down and open case to see if it's got the right bus(es) plus if it does don't have a clue about BIOS etc.

But here goes...

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 4 of 8
MvnParts
Aspirant

sorry for the reply storm. Anybody know why I can ping the NAS but can't open FrontView URL? I get the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED so does that mean I *could* connect by fixing some browser/PC network setting?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@MvnParts wrote:

I don't know if I can connect Disk 1 to PC, it is a Lenovo built in 2010, it is my only PC at the moment and I will have to shut down and open case to see if it's got the right bus(es) plus if it does don't have a clue about BIOS etc.

I suggest purchasing a USB/SATA adapter.  You want one that has a separate power brick, since your PC likely can't supply enough power through the USB port.

@MvnParts wrote:

Anybody know why I can ping the NAS but can't open FrontView URL? I get the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED so does that mean I *could* connect by fixing some browser/PC network setting?

The NAS is almost always pingable.  You won't be able to fix the connection refused error in your PC or browser.  The NAS either isn't fully booted, or is too busy dealing with errors to respond.  You could try installing RAIDar and see what status it reports.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 6 of 8
MvnParts
Aspirant

Good news: putting Disk 1 back in and removing Disk 2, I am able to run Frontview and see shares. At first Windows file explorer could not open the ReadyNAS network device or see shares. I tried several ways with Frontview to make a backup of one share, to a share on my PC or a flash drive on the ReadyNAS front USB port. While struggling to get a backup going somehow the shares appeared under the ReadyNAS network device. I am doing a plain Windows copy from the shared folder (not mapped as a network drive) to a Sandisk Extreme 500 SSD on the PC USB port. The most important share is 50GB and is copying so far.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@MvnParts wrote:

Good news: putting Disk 1 back in and removing Disk 2, I am able to run Frontview and see shares. 

Great.  It sounds like disk 2 has failed.  After you backup the data you might want to download the log zip file.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements