× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't change Raid type after factory reset, nothing happens in the 10 minutes windows

stefanom62
Aspirant

Can't change Raid type after factory reset, nothing happens in the 10 minutes windows

Hello, I just successfully upgraded my old ReadyNas Ultra 2 to OS 6 and now I have firmware 6.10.3. So far so good, I had a few glitches but now it works fine.
My only BIG issue is that I can't configure my 2 3TB drives to Raid 0 as they were before, the system always defaults to Raid 1. I understand that there should be a pop up or a button should appear in my Raidar (6.5.0) window in the first 10 minutes after factory rebooting but nothing happens and I don't know how to trigger it. Tried several times, even shut down my firewall, it seems that the NAS can't send me any message and simply start synchronizing the drives in Raid 1 mode every time.

Thank you in advance.

Stefano 

Model: RNDU2000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2)|READYNAS ULTRA 2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't change Raid type after factory reset, nothing happens in the 10 minutes windows

@stefanom62 wrote:

I understand that there should be a pop up or a button should appear in my Raidar (6.5.0) window in the first 10 minutes after factory rebooting but nothing happens

No, that's not how it's done with OS 6.  5.x and earlier firmware required a factory reset to switch to FlexRAID (with the 10 minute window).  6.x systems don't use that - you can switch from XRAID to FlexRAID without doing a reset (and in many cases you can switch back to XRAID from FlexRAID).

In your case, you

• disable XRAID by clicking on the XRAID control on the volume tab.  (XRAID is enabled if the control has a green stripe).
  • destroy the RAID-1 volume by clicking on the volume settings wheel (and choosing destroy).
  • select the disk(s) from the graphic in the center of the volume settings wheel, and create a new volume with the desired RAID mode.

You don't need to wait for the RAID sync to complete - you can take these steps while the volume is being built.

More information is in the software manual, and in the FlexRAID optimization guide:

You'll find that in OS-6, FlexRAID gives you more control over the RAID modes than older ReadyNAS, but is also more complicated.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't change Raid type after factory reset, nothing happens in the 10 minutes windows

@stefanom62 wrote:

I understand that there should be a pop up or a button should appear in my Raidar (6.5.0) window in the first 10 minutes after factory rebooting but nothing happens

No, that's not how it's done with OS 6.  5.x and earlier firmware required a factory reset to switch to FlexRAID (with the 10 minute window).  6.x systems don't use that - you can switch from XRAID to FlexRAID without doing a reset (and in many cases you can switch back to XRAID from FlexRAID).

In your case, you

• disable XRAID by clicking on the XRAID control on the volume tab.  (XRAID is enabled if the control has a green stripe).
  • destroy the RAID-1 volume by clicking on the volume settings wheel (and choosing destroy).
  • select the disk(s) from the graphic in the center of the volume settings wheel, and create a new volume with the desired RAID mode.

You don't need to wait for the RAID sync to complete - you can take these steps while the volume is being built.

More information is in the software manual, and in the FlexRAID optimization guide:

You'll find that in OS-6, FlexRAID gives you more control over the RAID modes than older ReadyNAS, but is also more complicated.

Message 2 of 3
stefanom62
Aspirant

Oh my, thank you, you totally made my day!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements