× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get email notifications to work

karby
Aspirant

Can't get email notifications to work

i'm not very knowledgeable... but have always muddled my way through configuring my NV+ V2... and then forget it for a few years... but 

now i'm doing some cleaning and want to add a 3rd disc and find my email notification can't be configured... although i'm sure it was before (although i don't recall any e-mails... because there was nothing to notify me about?)

the IP address of the NAS recently changed when i configured other parts of the network... but i don't understand how that would matter for an outgoing message?

Windows PC's

RAIDiatror 5.3.13

the 'Network' tab on the Dashboard shows that the DNS addresses are both filled and the IP address and Gateway are correct.

i don't have SNMP turned on but never have (and i don't thinks that's the SMTP error?).

i have tried everything i find posted in the forums... but i'm still stuck.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't get email notifications to work

You need to configure the email to use your real gmail account - not admin@gmail.com.  So the user field should be your gmail username, not admin, and the password needs to be the password for for your real gmail account also.

In addition you should check your gmail account settings.  You will need to 

• disable two factor authentication
  • enable less secure apps

Message 2 of 4
karby
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply, and your enormous patience.

After making the corrections you suggested i still got a pop up of "Unable to send test message" and lower one too of "Failed to contact SMTP server"... but i also received an email from Google saying that an app tried to access my account as you predicted. 

Since i am a big Google user (via Android devices) i am very relucant to decrease Google security in order to allow ReadyNAS notification e-mails.

In my earlier search for solutions i had already seen a post advising that "it's better to create an "app password" than allowing "less secure app"... but i have no idea how to accomplish that.

alternately, can i use one of my e-mails at the domain name i own or my local ISP to avoid this problem?  i am confused by the "Account Provider" tab, since my ISP is not listed and i have no idea how to configure a "Custom" account.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@karby wrote:

Since i am a big Google user (via Android devices) i am very relucant to decrease Google security in order to allow ReadyNAS notification e-mails.

Just to clarify this - the security risk here is only that the ReadyNAS knows your gmail password.  In my opinion that's not a big risk.

@karby wrote:

In my earlier search for solutions i had already seen a post advising that "it's better to create an "app password" than allowing "less secure app"... but i have no idea how to accomplish that.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

@karby wrote:

alternately, can i use one of my e-mails at the domain name i own or my local ISP to avoid this problem?  i am confused by the "Account Provider" tab, since my ISP is not listed and i have no idea how to configure a "Custom" account.

Most ISPs provide the information needed to configure email.  You are looking for the SMTP information. 

If you aren't using webmail, you can also look at your email client settings.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements