× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't reset Admin password on RN422

HarrisBerman
Aspirant

Can't reset Admin password on RN422

I reset the firmware on my RN422 because I could no long sign in on the Admin account. The password was reset to "password". I then updated the Admin account for a new password. This worked. However, I decided to add another userid to the Admin group which worked. However, I no long can log into the NAS under the Admin account any more. The only account that works now is the userid that I additionally set into the Admin group. How can I get back to using the Admin id? Of course, I could continue to use the new userid (in the Admin group), but I'd rather reset things. Any way of fixing this without doing a total box reset?

Model: RN422X124|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T (12x4TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

See if you can enable ssh, and then log in to ssh using root and the NAS admin password.  If that works you could try changing the NAS admin password again with

# passwd admin
Message 2 of 4
HarrisBerman
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

See if you can enable ssh, and then log in to ssh using root and the NAS admin password.  If that works you could try changing the NAS admin password again with

# passwd admin

I enabled SSH, but trying to log on with root did not work. Perhaps I used an incorrect approach. I tried to use "root" as the userid in the logon request.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@HarrisBerman wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

# passwd admin

I enabled SSH, but trying to log on with root did not work. Perhaps I used an incorrect approach. I tried to use "root" as the userid in the logon request.

That part is fine.  Then you should have received a password prompt.  Did you try entering the admin password there?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements