× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't set up eMail notifications

woto
Aspirant

Can't set up eMail notifications

Hey Guys

So I wondered if anyone can help.

i am trying to set up the email notification again, I did have it set up quite a while ago, now i want it setting up again, unfortunately it keeps coming up with an error saying check SMTP. I have read all the posts on here regarding this problem, some say configure the gmail to allow less secure, which is admin.gmail but you need a G Suite to do this I just have a standard gmail.com address. So can’t log on to admin.gmail

The unit also cribs when I check for new firmware, It comes up with an error - cannot resolve host name, Communication error, check your internet connection or DNS settings. Whether the two errors are connected I’m not sure.

Regards

john

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello woto,

You are most welcome. We can always use the Google public DNS 8.8.8.8.

To close the topic, mark the appropriate response as a solution.

Feel free to post again should have anything you feel like posting, we appreciate your contribution to the community!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello woto,

Can you send a screenshot of what you entered in the email alert settings such as SMTP server and port? Just cover your email address.

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
woto
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for the reply, here are a couple of screen shots of what i am entering for the email set up and the other is the error i get when trying to do a test email. i am running firmware 6.6.1

i have tried the differant ports on the dropdown box, also tried 4 differant mail providers with the same result.

regards

woto

ScreenShot003.jpg

ScreenShot003.jpg

Message 3 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello woto,

Please try port 587. Also configure Allow less secure apps. Standard gmail account should have this, just go to My Account.

gm1.png

gm2.png

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
woto
Aspirant

Hi JennC

I gave it a try what you have suggested, i was thinking this could be it, as not done this before, but unfortuanatly as you can see from the screenshots its still coming up with the error. 

Thanks for them screen shots as i now know where that button is for less secure apps is, but it was already turned on.

Hope you can point me in another direction 

regards

woto

ScreenShot002.jpg

ScreenShot001.jpg

ScreenShot003.jpg

Message 5 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello woto,

Is the NAS on static IP address? What's the DNS of the NAS and its current firmware version

Regards,

Message 6 of 10
woto
Aspirant

Hi JennC

as mentioned the firmware is 6.6.1

Its on a static ip

not sure where to find the DNS. Had a look under the network tab but nothing really in there. Could you point me in the right direction please

thanks

woto 

Message 7 of 10
woto
Aspirant

Hey JennC

sorted the problem out

found the DNS it wasn't set.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction 

Regards

woto

Message 8 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello woto,

You are most welcome. We can always use the Google public DNS 8.8.8.8.

To close the topic, mark the appropriate response as a solution.

Feel free to post again should have anything you feel like posting, we appreciate your contribution to the community!

Regards,

Message 9 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

Fir Gmail, it's better to create an "app password" than allowing "less secure app".
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements