× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you move disks between different models? Same CPU arch and OS

eton
Luminary

Can you move disks between different models? Same CPU arch and OS

Can you move disks from one device to another of a different model, if both models share the same CPU architecture and ReadyNAS OS support, without data loss? 

I am particularly interested in Intel based architectures.

For example can you move disks between RN312 and RN422?

Can you aslo move from any of them upp to a bigger model like RN 424?

Message 1 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@eton

Yes, you can move disk from the same CPU and OS. You can even move from ARM to Intel based as long as they have the same OS versions without Data loss.

If moving from ARM to Intel based, only the Apps installed will have to be reinstalled to work with x86 models.

HTH

Message 2 of 9
eton
Luminary

Thanks @Marc_V 

That is great news. Moving between models is of course one of the key features, but I remember that it was a bit trickier with the older models, like SPARC.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@eton wrote:

That is great news. Moving between models is of course one of the key features, but I remember that it was a bit trickier with the older models, like SPARC.

If you mean migration from legacy NAS to OS-6, then it isn't actually possible.  You can temporarily mount OS 4.2.x data volumes on X86 OS-6 NAS.  You can also temporarily mount 4.1.x or 5.3.x data volumes on any OS-6 NAS, but that requires assistance from support.

That lets you offload data, but you then need to restore it from backup after you set up the OS 6 system.

But you can migrate between OS-6 models.

Message 4 of 9
eton
Luminary

How do you temporarily mount legacy volumes?

What worflow do you have in mind when you talk about resotoring a legacy volume on a newer OS?

Like this?

Temporarily mount legacy volumes to a new system and then copy the files to a backup. Unmount legacy volume and then copy the files back from new backup to a modern volume on the new system?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@eton wrote:

How do you temporarily mount legacy volumes?

That is described here: https://kb.netgear.com/29875/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-to-OS-6

Note though Netgear calls this "migration", it's really not that.

@eton wrote:

What workflow do you have in mind when you talk about resotoring a legacy volume on a newer OS?

I have good backup plan in place, so this is a procedure I haven't needed to use myself.

The data volumes(s) from the legacy ReadyNAS are mounted in a read-only state on the OS-6 using the methods outlined in the KB article about.  Nothing is installed on the old disks.  

Then you can copy off the data over the network.  

When done, you set up the new NAS in the usual way - either powering down and installing the new disks, or rebooting and doing a factory default.

Message 6 of 9
eton
Luminary

@StephenB 

Thanks. Good that it's possbile to "migrate" from older systems. 

But will the data not be deleted after performing a factory default? Confusing

And the help page didn't help much. At step for it just says "Contact support  for further assistance regarding recovering the data."

https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA... 

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@eton wrote:

But will the data not be deleted after performing a factory default? Confusing

Yes.  Hence the workflow step "copy off the data over the network."

@eton wrote:

And the help page didn't help much. At step for it just says "Contact support  for further assistance regarding recovering the data."

https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA... 

As I said, with 4.1 and 5.3 you need assistance from support to mount the array. I believe that the reason it's a bit vague is that the RAID array is sometimes compromised when the NAS fails (depending on exactly what happened).  In routine cases, the charge for support's assistance is small (maybe even courtesy - not sure).  But if data recovery is required, it's a different matter.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Perhaps more on point - if you have a legacy Duo, you can also connect one of disks to a Windows PC (using either SATA or USB).  You can then use R-linux for Windows to recover the data for free ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ ). If the array is compromised, you can similarly use RAID recovery software - R-Studio perhaps for legacy, or the more expensive ReclaiMe software for both legacy NAS and OS-6.

There are some beta-level Windows packages for mdadm and btrfs that can also be used to mount the disks of an OS-6 NAS (again assuming no compromise of the volume).  As you might expect, you can mount both legacy and OS-6 disks in an x86 linux system.

So there are other options, especially if you don't have a lot of disks in the RAID volume.

Message 8 of 9
eton
Luminary

Thanks @StephenB 

Great software tips.

I don't get it why Netgear doesn't explain how their support migrates volumes. 

Anyway, I will try to keep this thread generic. I will make a new thread about my specific case.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements