× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Copy Files Larger Than 2 GByte to ReadyNAS

CarlEdman
Luminary

Cannot Copy Files Larger Than 2 GByte to ReadyNAS

I'm running the latest ReadyNAS 6.9.4hotfix1 on my ReadyNAS with more than 3.5 TByte free and a Windows 10 Pro x64 workstation and have for many years (with whatever the latest official version was at the time).  They are both connected to a GBit full-duplex switch which consistently gives me (and has forever) the theoretical maximum file transfer speeds of 112 MByte/second or so.

Now I am trying to do something I've done literally thousands of times before and suddenly it fails consistently: Transferring large files from the workstation to the NAS.  From Windows Explorer or cmd.exe, copying or moving a file works fine at full speed until it hits the 2 GByte point then it stops and errors out.

Transferring files between the same drives/filesystems from the NAS to the workstation continues to work regardless of size.  The workstation file system is whatever the current NTFS is and the NAS of course runs btrfs.

Am I losing my mind?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That sounds weird, @CarlEdman. What happens in case you use the admin page in a browser on your windows workstation to pull (upload) one of the concerned files to the nas?

Kind regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That sounds weird, @CarlEdman. What happens in case you use the admin page in a browser on your windows workstation to pull (upload) one of the concerned files to the nas?

Kind regards

Message 2 of 9
CarlEdman
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestion, @Retired_Member!  I didn't even know you could do that.

The result: It actually worked (albeit at a much lower transfer rate of about 22 MByte/sec), solving my immediate problem.

But I still wonder why the underlying issue occurs.

Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would also like to know, @CarlEdman, but could only guess.

If you do not need IPv6 and have it enabled in the network configuration of the nas, please disable it there and give it another try.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Are you certain this is a file size limit?  Perhaps try using NasTester ( http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance ) to isolate the problem.

For instance you could set up a 400 MB transfer test running 20 times (8 GB total) and see if that fails.  Then adjust the file size upwards the the loop count downwards (800 MB x 10, 1000 MB*8, 2000 MB*4, 4000 MB *2, ...), until you find the failure point.

FWIW, I don't see how this would be related to ipv6, though I agree that you should disable ipv6 if you don't need it (and most people don't).

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote: "FWIW, I don't see how this would be related to ipv6, though I agree that you should disable ipv6 if you don't need it (and most people don't)."

You are most probably right, but my recommendation belongs to the category "Do not enable anything you do not truely need". As I think the issue is network related, disabling IPv6 will reduce the complexity of the network configuration. Even, if it might not be the solution, it might bring us closer to a situation, where we finally can identify the reason(s) for the issue.

Message 6 of 9
CarlEdman
Luminary

Thanks for all the advice from @Retired_Member and @StephenB.  To take the points in order:

1. The problem just disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared.  Copying the same file 3.4 GByte from the same local directory to the same NAS directory suddenly worked as expected.  No config changes, no reboots on either client or server.  I have no idea why, but please believe me that I'm not the sort of ninny who runs to the forum without reproducing the issue at least half a dozen times, both from Windows explorer and cmd.exe.

2. I'd never tried NAS tester before, but I did as suggested and am quite pleased with the results: Pretty rock solid ~114 MByte/second real throughput read and write, close enough to the theoretical Gigabit Ethernet limit as to satisfy me.  Details attached below. 

3. I don't recall deliberately enabling IPv6 on my ReadyNAS, but if I read the configuration correctly, it is set to "Automatically/DHCP."  Not that it matters as I don't expose the NAS to the outside world and there are only 100 to 200 devices on my home network (wired and wireless combined).

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on Z: 20 times...
Iteration 1:    116.04 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    101.37 MB/sec
Iteration 3:    115.62 MB/sec
Iteration 4:    116.38 MB/sec
Iteration 5:    114.25 MB/sec
Iteration 6:    115.97 MB/sec
Iteration 7:    116.01 MB/sec
Iteration 8:    115.21 MB/sec
Iteration 9:    113.94 MB/sec
Iteration 10:   116.06 MB/sec
Iteration 11:   115.77 MB/sec
Iteration 12:   114.25 MB/sec
Iteration 13:   114.84 MB/sec
Iteration 14:   116.01 MB/sec
Iteration 15:   115.74 MB/sec
Iteration 16:   116.08 MB/sec
Iteration 17:   115.63 MB/sec
Iteration 18:   116.18 MB/sec
Iteration 19:   115.24 MB/sec
Iteration 20:   115.91 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W):    114.82 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on Z: 20 times...
Iteration 1:    109.23 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    108.23 MB/sec
Iteration 3:    109.35 MB/sec
Iteration 4:    109.49 MB/sec
Iteration 5:    109.05 MB/sec
Iteration 6:    109.50 MB/sec
Iteration 7:    109.41 MB/sec
Iteration 8:    109.95 MB/sec
Iteration 9:    110.74 MB/sec
Iteration 10:   110.26 MB/sec
Iteration 11:   110.41 MB/sec
Iteration 12:   110.62 MB/sec
Iteration 13:   110.50 MB/sec
Iteration 14:   110.84 MB/sec
Iteration 15:   110.56 MB/sec
Iteration 16:   110.96 MB/sec
Iteration 17:   109.50 MB/sec
Iteration 18:   109.89 MB/sec
Iteration 19:   110.29 MB/sec
Iteration 20:   109.71 MB/sec
Average (R):    109.92 MB/sec
Running warmup...
Running a 2000MB file write on Z: 4 times...
Iteration 1:    116.17 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    114.51 MB/sec
Iteration 3:    116.33 MB/sec
Iteration 4:    115.25 MB/sec
Average (W):    115.56 MB/sec
Running a 2000MB file read on Z: 4 times...
Iteration 1:    115.61 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    113.90 MB/sec
Iteration 3:    115.56 MB/sec
Iteration 4:    113.90 MB/sec
Average (R):    114.74 MB/sec
Running warmup...
Running a 4000MB file write on Z: twice...
Iteration 1:    111.69 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    110.26 MB/sec
Average (W):    110.98 MB/sec
Running a 4000MB file read on Z: twice...
Iteration 1:    114.87 MB/sec
Iteration 2:    113.30 MB/sec
Average (R):    114.09 MB/sec
Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Great to hear, that you are fine now, @CarlEdman. You are not the only one, who experienced erratic behaviour from solutions, which were running stable for a long time. As there are so many components involved in delivering services, the slightest change in one element is sometimes causing hickups. For example I observed several "mysterious" issues on intel NUCs after applying windows driver updates, which just disappeared after a few days and never occurred again.

Kind regards

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad it's resolved

@CarlEdman wrote:

3. I don't recall deliberately enabling IPv6 on my ReadyNAS, but if I read the configuration correctly, it is set to "Automatically/DHCP."  Not that it matters ...

In some cases Windows will use the ipv6 link local address to connect with the NAS.  There are posts here from folks who say that they've seen lower performance when that happens.  I believe in most of those cases ipv6 was disabled on the router. 

I would still disable it if your home network is configured to use ipv4.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements