Reply

Re: Cannot access shares via Windows Explorer (Readynas Ultra2)

cmav
Aspirant

Cannot access shares via Windows Explorer (Readynas Ultra2)

Hi,

 

I have a ReadyNas ultra 2 (RNDU2000) which I have used for years.

 

All of a sudden a week ago I could no longer access admin via chrome "192.168.68.103 uses an unsupported protocol."  and unable to access shares from windows explorer. (see screenshot attached)

 

I finally managed to access admin by downloading a very old version of Firefox and luckily I can see my shares are still there with all data safely intact.

 

I however now want to just access my data so I can pull it off before upgrading to a new NAS hardware but how can I do that.  I saw someone mentioned trying FTPzilla so I tried downloaing it but couldnt figure out how to connect without getting errors (see screenshot in my reply).

 

Thanks for any support

 

Model: RNDU2000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2)|READYNAS ULTRA 2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 3
cmav
Aspirant

Re: Cannot access shares via Windows Explorer (Readynas Ultra2)

 
Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot access shares via Windows Explorer (Readynas Ultra2)


@cmav wrote:

 

All of a sudden a week ago I could no longer access admin via chrome "192.168.68.103 uses an unsupported protocol."  and unable to access shares from windows explorer. (see screenshot attached)

You should be able to access the data from file explorer.

 

First double-check that that the SMB 1.0 client is still enabled (in "turn windows features on or off").  Ignore any security warnings if you need to enable it again.

 

Then enter \\192.168.68.3 into the file explorer address bar.  Be careful to use the correct slash direction - using // will launch your default browser, and give you the same unsupported protocol error.  You should see the share list, and then be able to click on the various shares.

 


@cmav wrote:

 

I however now want to just access my data so I can pull it off before upgrading to a new NAS hardware but how can I do that.  I saw someone mentioned trying FTPzilla so I tried downloaing it but couldnt figure out how to connect without getting errors (see screenshot in my reply).

 


Try the method above first.

 

Is FTP enabled as a file sharing protocol for your shares?

 

You appear to be using an encrypted version of ftp (either sftp or ftps - I can't tell from the screen shot).  You want to be using unencrypted FTP.  You can create a "site" in filezilla for 192.168.168.3, and then ensure the settings are using normal FTP (w/o any encryption).  Then connect to that site.

 


@cmav wrote:

I have a ReadyNas ultra 2 (RNDU2000) which I have used for years.

 

All of a sudden a week ago I could no longer access admin via chrome "192.168.68.103 uses an unsupported protocol."  and unable to access shares from windows explorer. (see screenshot attached)

 

I finally managed to access admin by downloading a very old version of Firefox and luckily I can see my shares are still there with all data safely intact.

 


One option is to convert the Ultra to run OS 6 firmware.  You would need to increase the memory to 2 GB, but that is not expensive.

 

You could then use that as the primary NAS for a while longer, or you could use it as a backup.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 380 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements