× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot get RN214 setup

sutiban
Follower

Cannot get RN214 setup

My mom got a RN214 for christmas and I have yet to get it working, even with a single drive. Everytime it goes to boot I get a "corrupt root" in raidar. I've tried Factory Default and OS Reinstall, resulting as... you guessed it, corrupt root.  

Drive model WD4000FYYZ (which is on the HCL)

Pulled the drive from the RN214 and connected it to my laptop via USB 3 enclosure and verified that there are no partitions on the drive.  I even went as far as creating a filesystem on the drive and then wiping the drive again.  Same thing, corrupt root.

smartctl comes back with no issues so i doubt it's the drive.  Tried two other 4TB drives (not on the HCL) and same issue, corrupt root. The RN214 has not worked since the original purchase and just need some help getting this working.

FW on the device is 6.9.2

Thanks.

edit: attaching pdf showing output from fdisk and smartctl.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Cannot get RN214 setup

It sounds like the flash memory on the NAS is corrupted.  While a USB recovery might fix that, I wouldn't trust a new NAS with an error of that type so soon in it's life to stay error-free.  I'd exchange the NAS for a new one with the retailer.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements