× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot log in

jglazer63
Tutor

Cannot log in

Suddenly I can no longer log into my 424.  I tried the password recovery and it says "Recover password failed".    When I try to log in, it just cycles a couple times then says account locked wait 5 minutes.  How do I access the NAS?

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@jglazer63 wrote:

Suddenly I can no longer log into my 424.  I tried the password recovery and it says "Recover password failed".    When I try to log in, it just cycles a couple times then says account locked wait 5 minutes.  How do I access the NAS?

Do you think you've forgotten the correct password?  Also, if the password is saved in the browser, go into the browser's settings and try deleting it.  If that password is wrong, then it can sometimes cause the account lockout (at least this did happen with Chrome a while ago).

You can reset the password by doing an OS reinstall via the boot menu.  First do a proper shutdown of the NAS using the instructions on page 96 of the hardware manual.  Then do the OS reinstall using the instructions on page 97-98.  The manual can be found here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

The OS reinstall will

• reset the admin password to password
  • reset the network configuration to use DHCP with no bonding.
  • turn off volume quota (which can be turned on again via the volume settings wheel)
Message 2 of 4
jglazer63
Tutor

I am absolutely certain I know what the password was.  Chrome also knew what the password was.  It just suddenly didn't work.  I had to reinstall the o/s.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@jglazer63 wrote:

I am absolutely certain I know what the password was.  Chrome also knew what the password was.  It just suddenly didn't work.  I had to reinstall the o/s.

I'm not doubting you.  It isn't something I've seen myself on any of my various ReadyNAS.  You could download the full log zip file, and see if you can find any clues what happened.

Going forward, perhaps enable the audit logging for a while - which would give you more clues if it were to happen again.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements